Thinking about a Skeeter

I have owned a 18.5 Ranger in the past and really liked it but now I am looking for a 21 foot boat to fish tournaments out of for the 2021 season. I've looked at used Rangers and can't find much in my price range. I have also considered Skeeters but just don't have any history with Skeeters. How do they compare with the Rangers, say a 520 series Ranger? Are the decks narrower than Rangers? How do the handle big water? How is their customer service when ordering parts for them? Just looking for some general information about them.

2. Member
    The Skeeter FXR has a very large front deck and handles big water extremely well. I am in my second FXR and am very pleased with this model.

Skeeters a great boats and ride really well. If you liked your 18 ft ranger you will love a 21 ft skeeter.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    I'm on my 2nd Skeeter and I'm about to upgrade to another one. You'll be happy with a Skeeter...

The 21' Skeeter front decks are longer and wider than the 520VX. The 521VX deck is probably longer, but not wider than a 21' Skeeter. I haven't been in a 21' Skeeter, but I imagine the ride isn't bad. It's hard to beat the ride of a 520VX though.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

6. Member
    I always laugh when some one asks about the ride of any bass boat.

Write this down: All bass boats ride bad, only some worse than others !!

Big boats generally not as bad as smaller boats.

I've been in Skeeters for 18 years now. Rode in almost every other brand.

Without exception, in heavy water, they beat you up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    I always laugh when some one asks about the ride of any bass boat.

Write this down: All bass boats ride bad, only some worse than others !!

Big boats generally not as bad as smaller boats.

I've been in Skeeters for 18 years now. Rode in almost every other brand.

Without exception, in heavy water, they beat you up.
    I would tend to agree with you. Bass boat hulls are a designs full of compromises. For the most part they are designed to ride on TOP of the water. With that said, my ZX250 takes on rough water much softer than my ZX190 did. The jarring is not near as bad but on a lake with a lot of wake boats you will still feel it.
    The driver can make a difference too. I always try to find the right speed, trim, and approach angle to smooth it out as much as possible. Still, my back and joints will remind me in the evening it was a rough day on the water.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    To my knowledge you cannot order parts directly from Skeeter, must go through dealer. I have a 2020 FXR, first one had serious finish issues, Skeeter replaced boat. Next one had water in all boxes, no boarding ladder, live well lids do not fit correctly. I came out of a Ranger 521C and now I really regret my decision. Sent a letter to Skeeter president, no response. Slogan should state we build them one thousand at a time and do not care about quality or customers!

9. Member
    I own a 2018 Skeeter that I purchased new. It has been a good boat. I would definitely not own a Skeeter if I didn’t have a really good dealer that would go to bat for you that is close. My dealer meets all of those criteria. Skeeter is an assembly line product that relies on its dealers for customer support. The key to a positive experience with Skeeter truly does lies with the dealer.

10. Member
    All of this has been interesting, especially about parts from Skeeter and dealer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsdale816 View Post
    All of this has been interesting, especially about parts from Skeeter and dealer.
    This is standard practice in most all manufacturing industries that use dealerships to sell their product. Without the dealerships they would not be able to get their product to the consumers and they need to support them by not selling direct. Dealers are expected to have service departments and stock parts for the local customers as part of the agreement to sell that brand of boat, car etc.. If they start selling direct to the buyer that would take away any incentive for a Dealership to carry their brand and would reduce their market share

12. Member
    Some of what of above is true. But your not going to get 100% satisfaction for everyone.
    It's like my purchase of my latest truck. 2018 F150 5.0 liter, 4x4, extended cab and long bed.
    It's a work truck, within 2 weeks I received a recall notice. 2 months later another recall notice.
    Both insignificant in nature but still a pain in the butt.

Boats are like purchasing a truck, you buying for work or for fun or luxury. Boats are close to the same.

The problem with boats these days it's more like buying a computer! Your buying a name brand, but who really
    owns the company? Ranger boats lost their quality (IMO) when they got sold out to Bass Pro. Some may baulk at
    that statement, but from the folks I know that fish tournament's, they are looking at different options other than Ranger.
    There is a new attitude in business the last 20 years, If you can't beat them, buy them. You can point a finger
    at the computer and the information technologies' that surround it. At one point Forrest Wood cornered the market!
    So I think of Johnny Morris like Jeff Bezos, he has the cash to do as he pleases with the industry. Combining Nitro and Ranger,
    was it a mistake or just a business decision to make the two boats with better profit and shared ideas in design.
    Since 2014, I guess you would say it's flexible for a reason.

I love my new 2019 Skeeter FX 21 LE. It has had it's quirks, it wasn't perfect straight off the trailer.
    But has been enjoyable to fish out of. Now if I can get use to the new electronics and get it all
    working as one, I will be in heaven!

Good luck with your decision!