Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guided Trophy Smallmouth trip-where?

I posted this same question about 3 yrs. ago but lost all info I received. I really would like to go on a trophy smallmouth trip before I croak and I need to get it done as I will be 82 yrs old in about 2 weeks. Help-advice-suggestions appreciated. Thanks Lewis Perry, Stratford Ok.

I'm biased because I used to fish it a lot, but the Pickwick area (Alabama) is loaded with fish over 6#, and an 8# fish is not uncommon. As far as guides, I can't help you there. But from now until early October ... depending on the weather ... fishing for them at night is a TREAT that you have to experience. If you prefer cooler weather or daytime fishing, the trophies show up again in the daytime in February and early March.

DO NOT try this area by yourself if you are unfamiliar with it. It is a very dangerous chain of impoundments that can wreck a boat on a rock pile in an instant.

Hope that helps

3. Member
    Blake Hall if you go to pickwick. November I think is when it gets good, below the wilson dam
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

4. Member
    Or you could go up north to the st lawrence river or st Claire.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

5. Member
    Lake St. Clair for numbers and size. You can easily catch 50+ smallmouth per day right now.

6. Member
    Thanks guys. I should have stated that I am thinking a fall trip-September or October or maybe November if its not too far north.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Blake Hall if you go to pickwick. November I think is when it gets good, below the wilson dam
    I'd definitely check Blake out. Give him a call and tell him what your desires are. He has a great reputation. https://www.facebook.com/Blakehallfishing/

8. Member
    My personal best smallmouth was a 7.5# caught on a rock pile at Pickwick in late July 1989. It was about 2:30am. We didn’t even leave the house to fish before 10pm. Great fishing in October/November.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin35043 View Post
    My personal best smallmouth was a 7.5# caught on a rock pile at Pickwick in late July 1989. It was about 2:30am. We didn’t even leave the house to fish before 10pm. Great fishing in October/November.
    Can’t smallies be caught on Pickwick during the day time during the summer months?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Can’t smallies be caught on Pickwick during the day time during the summer months?
    Of course, but in the heat they feed voraciously in very short bursts. If you’re in the right spot at the right time it’s magical, otherwise you find out what they mean by dog days of summer, and there’s a whole lot of otherwise on that lake right now if you aren’t going often and knowing exactly where they are when, especially true for the brown fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Not with any regularity. The smaller fish are still active, but the larger fish will resort to feeding at night.

12. Member
    Greg Brisidine if you go to Dale Hollow by chance.

13. Member
    This guy is good. But it's a road trip for sure.
    https://www.facebook.com/NorthwoodsBass?fref=nf

14. Banned
    Lake Simcoe Ontario. You can thank me later.... Canadian 5 smallmouth bass limit Record at 32 pounds. Go in late fall and you will get a 7 pounder. I have a 7 pound smallie from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Lake Simcoe Ontario. You can thank me later.... Canadian 5 smallmouth bass limit Record at 32 pounds. Go in late fall and you will get a 7 pounder. I have a 7 pound smallie from there.
    This

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

16. Member
    St clair gets my vote- awesome place

17. Member
    Sorry, but as of now, Americans can not go or even fish in Canada.
    Went to the St. Lawrence recently and you are not allowed to cross the line into Canada.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champy View Post
    Sorry, but as of now, Americans can not go or even fish in Canada.
    Went to the St. Lawrence recently and you are not allowed to cross the line into Canada.
    Most of us can't even go into NY State.

19. Member
    Northern Michigan-Chris Knopfsinger. I won't divulge anything else, just trust me.

If I was in your shoes and I wanted to get a 6+ smallie as well as some good numbers I would book a mega trip. I would book a trip with Chris Gorush at Reel River adventures and fish the Susquehanna with him for a split trip and then I would head north to meet with Travis Manson to go chase after some monster Smallies. You'll get numbers as well as decent size fishing with Chris on the Susquehanna and the scenery is amazing. With Travis it Big water and Big Fish. It won't be the cheapest but what an adventure. If you are interested in something like this let me know and I can help you out as that is my neck of the woods.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast