New to Humminbird would like some guidance

Have a backwater aluminum boat, typically once I am familiar with an area I run more than idle so I depend on map , waypoints etc.

I have a Helix 9 Mega DI Gen3 at the TM linked to Ultrex
    I have a Helix 9 Mega SI Gen3 at Console
    both of those are networked with the hub, I am learning those but still pretty rough around the edges I do love them tho

I was using a 998 stacked above my Helix 9 at console just for mapping , it has a gps antenna the one with heading sensor, also networked.

I am removing that and putting a Helix 10 Gen1 in its place just for mapping , I will use the same GPS antenna for this unit and typically run with that one's sonar turned off and no transducer hooked up to it.

I do fish for crappie and I do bass fish main lake plenty often so not just a swamp or river runner.

My questions are , what do you guys that know far more than I think would be ideal usage of my setup , IE go ahead a add a transducer for reg 2d on the 10 ? or just stick with the other two for sonar etc ? Or is there a way to look on the 10 screen at sonar via the network ? if so is it worth using or just stick with the 9's ?

Also are there optimum settings for the speed of the map keeping up with me?

keep in mind I don't know jack about this stuff so you are not gonna get a know it all argument back from me, just looking to get the most out of my stuff.

Chris

2. Member
    I would get a high speed 2D transducer for the Helix 10 that I would put on the transom for hi-speed bottom reading. If you have the SI transducer on the transom, you can raise it a bit to only get a bottom reading a slow speed.

If you network the Helix 10 with the Helix 9's you can share the sonar data they are processing=don't need a transducer connected to it. Turn Sonar OFF.
    Set the GPS Output to 10 Hz for the fastest position updates.
    Use a Chart zoom range that allows the fastest redraw as you run on plane but still have enough position information to run safely.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    oh darn , I forgot to mention I run a lowrance flasher on pad so that part is not a big deal.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you network the Helix 10 with the Helix 9's you can share the sonar data they are processing=don't need a transducer connected to it. Turn Sonar OFF.
    Set the GPS Output to 10 Hz for the fastest position updates.
    Use a Chart zoom range that allows the fastest redraw as you run on plane but still have enough position information to run safely.
    thank you sir! I will do that and test it this weekend hopefully.