Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Retirement Ceremony

If you were eligible for retirement, did you have a retirement ceremony ? why or why not?

2. Member
    I did not have a ceremony. I landed a job overseas and left during my transition time. Didn't want to come back for a ceremony. The unit i was assaigned to before I left had a BBQ for all family members. That was awesome, much better than a ceremony.

3. Member
    My CO at the time insisted I have a ceremony. I really didn't want one but I did. It was nice though and they recorded it so I can watch it when I am old I guess. I went straight into a civilian job doing the same thing I was doing active duty so it doesn't even feel like I retired 15 years ago. When I hit 20 at this civilian job I am retiring for real.

4. Member
    I told the Bn Cmdr I did not want one, just mail me my flag and final paperwork. I took 90 days terminal leave, and started work in Iraq two weeks after I started terminal leave. No regrets.

5. Member
    I had one, it was friends a family to celebrate and be recognized.I had 90 saved plus 20 house hunting. The only thing I'd done different is time off. We had an iG out brief that Friday at noon. I had my ceremony that night and started at ITT Tech on Monday.

I opted out of having one. We had a nice lunch on post with my entire office and friends. Brought the family in, to include in-laws. Much nicer, less formal, everyone got out of the office for a bit.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

7. Member
    I had one, I wanted to publicly thank my family and friends who supported and sacrificed so we could accomplish the mission.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG21 View Post
    I had one, I wanted to publicly thank my family and friends who supported and sacrificed so we could accomplish the mission.
    This. Lots of friends and family, it closed that 30 year chapter of my life. Took 4 months off before going back to work--highly recommend taking the time off, as Day 1 of your job your leave balance is zero.

I publicly thanked the family at the luncheon...and thanked, by name, all the NCOs, that had long been retired, that kept me from letting my mouth overrun my ass as a young Soldier. Totally agree with RonCat about taking time off. I was out of work for nearly 5 months between leave and taking my time looking for a new job. It allows you to reset and learn to leave that life behind you.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    I publicly thanked the family at the luncheon...and thanked, by name, all the NCOs, that had long been retired, that kept me from letting my mouth overrun my ass as a young Soldier. Totally agree with RonCat about taking time off. I was out of work for nearly 5 months between leave and taking my time looking for a new job. It allows you to reset and learn to leave that life behind you.
    Yes Sir, RonCat makes a great point. Giving back and I've been thinking about that but alot of my family aren't able to travel or too old to be in attendance due to health issues.. I've been contemplating what I want to do but for now Cov-19 has made deciding easier..

11. Member
    Roncat is right, take some time after retirement. I didn’t and I paid for it heath wise.

12. Member
    Here is my take:

You've given our country 20 years or more of your life. You've given up family time, holidays, weekends, birthdays and countless other moments that civilians have ZERO clue about. Give back to your family and have them recognized at your ceremony. Wear your service dress too! This will be the last time anyone you invite will EVER see you in them. It might be the first and last time. Just my two cents, don't get carried away with the gifts to your family. Keep it simple, but meaningful! I've been to retirement ceremonies that take longer giving family members gifts than it took to retire the person going out. LoL

Finally... Thank you for your service and if you have a family, thank them for their sacrifices!

One of my biggest pet peaves in my 2 year career was mandator formations, I id not have a ceremony per se. I rented out the Chiefs Club and bought food and a keg and the first round of shots. I invited everyone. The ones that showed up I knew wanted to be there and I said some words and received some gifts and heard some nice things said by shipmates that really wanted to be there. Then the drunkfest started.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Thanks for all ya'lls sacrifice! I have about 7 years left hopefully, then i am forced out due to age. Lots of great responses here. I dont want any ceremony, but knowing that the family has endured my military career, i am sure they would appreciate it. I do know one thing for sure...When i get out...i dont want to see another airplane!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

15. Member
    I had a ceremony and recommend doing so, as previous mentioned it gives you an opportunity to thanks family members. I did 22 yrs, 82-04 , thanked everyone then surprised my dad by presenting him a flag box of his own with his dog tags, set of stripes, name tag and other service mementos inside it. My father never had one after serving 20 yrs from 54-74, not sure why but it was pretty cool to give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    I had a ceremony and recommend doing so, as previous mentioned it gives you an opportunity to thanks family members. I did 22 yrs, 82-04 , thanked everyone then surprised my dad by presenting him a flag box of his own with his dog tags, set of stripes, name tag and other service mementos inside it. My father never had one after serving 20 yrs from 54-74, not sure why but it was pretty cool to give it to him.
    That is very cool!
    2016 Nitro Z21

17. Member
    Just gonna have a couple beers with a few buddys then head on home. Just like any other day of the week except I won’t be coming back! 2 years to go!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post

19. Member
    25.5 years of my life that I would not take a million dollars for the experiences nor give a fraction of it to repeat many of them. My first Command Sergeant Major (old fart - maybe 40 at the time) told me that no matter the amount of years that I decided to serve, in the end it would all be about the people i'd serve with and the friendships made. He was spot on.

I had the ceremony in 2013 and it was the first time that many of my family could attend any formal military event. Outside of flowers for my wife there were no gifts less my spoken gratitude for the support to those along the way - many who perished overseas after 9/11. It was short and sweet and I would strongly recommend it - even if you hate the idea - it will be time and effort well spent - even only if for your family.

And - thank you to all who have served, regardless of the amount of time.
    BCB Lynx
    Mercury 250 ProXs 4-Stroke

20. Member
    I attended a mandatory retirement ceremony in a theater. My wife was there but mostly soldiers. I had 90 days saved up and started teaching school a week later. Wouldn't have had a ceremony if it had been up to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast