Question New to rod building

I’m new to rod building and I’m look for some good quality rods that have good sensitivity and durable. I would like to build a good Texas rig rod and a drop shot rod first. Any recommendations on blanks and any tips/tricks will be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    MHX has a great variety of blanks to choose from for any build
    Brian Wisniewski
    2023 Nitro Z21XL

3. Member
    MHX has some blanks that are good for some applications. I would not say they have sensitive blanks for Texas rigs or drop shot. Some brands you might want to look at is Rainshadow if you can find an eternity in the length you are looking for they are sensitive rods. Point Blank, North Fork Composite, Rod Geeks(St Croix blanks). Those are the only brands I have used that will say you can find a great for sensitivity. Others have highly recommended Phoenix, I havent built on one of them yet to say.

4. Member
    Mud hole has a ton of great videos to help you get started. You can call them and get someone on the phone to talk you through blank and component selection based on what you want to build.
    YouTube has a bunch of great videos too.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

5. Member
    You are probably going to hear a lot of opinions, a lot like which boat or truck or lawn mower is best. Read them through and go with your gut. I order from Mud Hole and use MHX blanks, but I'm not about to bash any of the other choices. I've just not used them. Mud Hole does have several how-to type videos.

6. Member
    Definitely watch some videos on YouTube, there's a lot of them out there. Mudhole has them and also some from Kevin Brotz at GetBit. I'd suggest getting all of your equipment and practicing wrapping to get that down especially before doing a dropshot rod...the first 3 or 4 guides from the tip can be kind of challenging.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Definitely watch some videos on YouTube, there's a lot of them out there. Mudhole has them and also some from Kevin Brotz at GetBit. I'd suggest getting all of your equipment and practicing wrapping to get that down especially before doing a dropshot rod...the first 3 or 4 guides from the tip can be kind of challenging.
    Mike Im getting ready to build a ds baitcaster... could you explain the challenge with the guides you mentioned ... thank you sir... Mychael

8. Member
    I’ve only used mudhole blanks and Rod Geeks blanks. I’m a big St Croix fan so I love the rod geeks stuff. Starting out I’d use a CRB blank, it’s cheap but sensitive too. I actually use it as my Ned Rig rod and it feels more sensitive than some $100-140 store bought rods. The Mudhole Color series are also decent for the money. Not as sensitive as i thought they would’ve been but it’s a great senko/ finesse worm rod.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    Mike Im getting ready to build a ds baitcaster... could you explain the challenge with the guides you mentioned ... thank you sir... Mychael
    It's just because the tips are thin and flexible, you have to get your thread tension just right and it's easy to misalign a guide. That's all. I've wrapped a lot of guides and DS and L/UL tips in general still make me swear from time to time.

10. Member
    Go get you some Rainshadow blanks. Any of the 3 Revelation, Immortal or Eternity blanks are amazing. For the money the Revelations are hard to beat for the money, the immortals are phenomenal, I don’t have any made with the Eternity blanks but have heard they’re really sensitive too!
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    It's just because the tips are thin and flexible, you have to get your thread tension just right and it's easy to misalign a guide. That's all. I've wrapped a lot of guides and DS and L/UL tips in general still make me swear from time to time.
    Good advice!

Lucky thing here that the OP is from the South so he won't have the bright idea like I did that an ice rod is a good first thing to try to build...after all it must be easier since it's shorter! Arbor a blank with a 6 mm butt to fit a standard size reel seat? Sure thing! Figure out how to drill out solid EVA grips straight with no drill press since you can't find any with an ID small enough for the blank, then figure out how to shape them with a hand drill, file, and sandpaper to look halfway decent because they're way too fat? Go for it! Aforementioned blank is a glass "noodle" style with a 0.75 mm tip? Sounds like a great idea to me, definitely won't have any problems wrapping 5 guides in a 10 inch span on a blank that small and flexible! That whole thing backfired just a bit....

I can't believe I didn't throw in the towel then and there. Only positive is that the first open water rod I built was a cinch compared to that! Well that and I suppose the fact that I finished it and still fish it to this day. Caught my biggest ice walleye with it last year, even.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,