Thread: Chimney Sweep

Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Chimney Sweep

Who does this on their fireplaces? I burn 6 cords each year and like to sweep the chimney each year. The guy who usually does it, isn’t available. Considering buying the poles & brush and doing it myself.

2. Member
    It's not that hard depending on your house and roof pitch. I did ours in the 2 story farmhouse every year. The hardest part was removing and then replacing the concrete slab cap (60-80#) sitting on top which was 8' above the roof. They can also be done from mostly inside the house in most cases using a line/chain/cable but works better with two people. Can also make more mess in the house having the clean-out open.

Wear a mask. That crap isn't any better for you than COVID

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Did it myself for years on the round chimney for a wood stove. I'd clean it out every spring so it would be ready for use in the fall. Hardest part was getting the ladder out. All the dust would fall into the woodstove and it was the wife's job to clean that part up.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    This will be done from the inside, no way I’m climbing up on the roof

5. Member
    I do my own a couple times/yr - 17', round SS flue for a woodstove. Helps that I keep a ridge hook set up for work all the time, and dedicated a shop vac for the inside cleanup.

6. Member
    You may already know this but a little (rock or table) salt thrown in while you are burning once a week helps dry out the creosote and prevents build up. Which means less effort when you do sweep.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Who does this on their fireplaces? I burn 6 cords each year and like to sweep the chimney each year. The guy who usually does it, isn’t available. Considering buying the poles & brush and doing it myself.
    You burn 6 cord in a fireplace? Is there a chimney clean-out? Can you remove the damper? Assuming you get the stuff scraped off the chimney walls, how do you get it out of there?

And if you're planning to do the brushing from the inside, how are you going to force the brush up through without a professional roto-rooter set-up? Did you watch the pro in years past to see what you're getting into?

I'm trying to think of a few more questions to ask but that'll have to do for now

8. Member
    Big advice: Do not use a shop vac in the house. If you don't have a long enough suction hose to place the vac outside don't try it. The vacuum exhaust will deposit soot all over your house if used inside.

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    I'm really surprised you don't use an outside boiler!

10. Member
    Ive been burning about 8-10 cord in my 2 wood stoves for the past 5 years. I use a tool called SootEater, it attaches to your drill and goes right up the chimney from the bottom. Can get expensive as one of my chimneys is about 30'. Clean up is easy because I have cleanouts and access ports in the basement. Both chimneys are masonry/clay lined. It may not do as good of a job as a professional chimney sweep, but it can be done easily by one person and can be done inside. I clean mine 3-4 times a season.

11. Member
    Have it done professionally - the cost is well worth the peace of mind.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

12. Member
    Been in our house for 21 years now. Haven't done it yet.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Big advice: Do not use a shop vac in the house. If you don't have a long enough suction hose to place the vac outside don't try it. The vacuum exhaust will deposit soot all over your house if used inside.
    That's why I use an ash vac for our pellet stove. Does a pretty good job for $75

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Good point! I have a 20' Ridgid hose for that.

15. Member
    I burn 6 cords each year and like to sweep the chimney each year
    Full or face cords?

16. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Full or face cords?
    Loggers Cord (8x4x4) 6 cords of logs

17. Member
    Loggers Cord (8x4x4) 6 cords of logs

You work too hard during retirement! LOL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    You work too hard during retirement! LOL
    Like they always say; wood warms you twice..

19. Member
    Hire it out to a professional. We had a chimney fire at our house when I was growing up and once it got started it sounded like a jet engine was stuck in there. Pretty eye-opening stuff!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS