99’ OX66-200 HP- VST- is it easy to change filter in there?

The guy that winterizes my motor and just changed the three lower fuel pumps doesn’t seem to want to check things out in the VST. Boat is running fine after changing out those fuel pumps .....I asked him about the filter in there and his response back to me was if it’s still working we don’t want to go in there and disrupt anything does it sound like that’s the way most guys handle the VST or maybe I should look for another boat mechanic? He seems to be one of these guys that is if it’s not broken don’t try to fix it-Just trying to be proactive and avoid a situation where I start out a week fishing vacation and get broken down On the lake..... I have just changed to three lower pressure fuel pumps , replaced the fuel ball and fuel lines and yearly have the lower unit oil drained and winterize the outboard —any advice on other preventative filters / parts in the OX 66 that I should be proactive with? By the way I do use ethanol 10 gas but religiously use star Tron and ring free in any gas that goes in the boat. I also use Pennzoil synthetic oil in my engine- yellow container marine blend from Wally World.
    thanks BBC guys!

2. Member
    I would get another mechanic, someone who will do the obvious things to keep you running properly.
    I would check the VST filter out, it is an easy procedure if you are mechanically inclined.
    I highly recommend having your injectors cleaned and flow tested. There are filter baskets in each injector that can clog up. European Marine or Brucato Fuel Injector service both are top notch for the injector service.
    Another tip is to check the tightness of bolts like head bolts, water jacket bolts and so on, they can loosen on you causing a critical failure. O2 sensor needs to be checked and cleaned too. Check / replace Poppet valves.
    Do a search on this board and you will find several key things to maintain for the ox66.
    Most of these procedures are easy to do yourself.
    Hope this helps!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

3. Member
    Easy to replace the vst. Release the fuel pressure and take your time. Not hard

4. Member
    How often should the VST filter be looked at every year or depends on the number of hours. I’m lucky if I put five hours a year on the outboard- NJ lakes Are pitiful in terms of size and are crowded beyond belief I usually just end out hanging out on the reservoir fishing with the trolling motor.

5. Member
    I replace mine yearly. Some replace it every two years. If you use it that amount you should be ok every two years. Just make sure to use one of the two products for ethanol, like startron or Stabil marine.
    Does you boat have an onboard water fuel separator? Generally they are mounted in the bilge box area.
    When you replace the Vst filter I prefer the Yamaha. It cost more...

6. Member
    VST filter P/N 66K-13915-00-00 Cover gasket P/N 66K-14984
    Last edited by bpicinc; 08-19-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148