Best prices on Lowrance products

Looking for a new HDS7 live unit. Every place I looked at are the same price. Any sales going on that I`m not finding?
    My Gen2 is doing some weird stuff and customer service says its too old for repair. Only six yrs and another grand or so! Does not seem fair

2. Member
    Why not tell us what "wierd stuff" is happening with your Gen2 in case we can help you fix it? Have you tried saving your waypoints and performing a hard reset?
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Well it started out by when I shut it down it would just go to a low lit screen of HDS Lowrance and barely visible. So it stayed on that screen day and night for two days. When I noticed it I attempted to turn off again it wouldn't power off, so I unplugged it. Then powered up again and it blinked several times before it would function on chart and other displays. Then it lost time and date and tide charts. So I left it on and it would go to the low lit screen again on its own. Now it will read my Navionics card but doesn't show the sattelite overlay. I have waypoints and trails on a usb but I do not know what a hard reset is or how to perform.
    Thanks for any help

4. Member
    To perform a hard reset, with the unit first turned off, hold down the plus and minus keys at the same time, and press the power key and release the power key while still holding down the plus and minus keys. Keep holding down both the plus and minus keys until the unit gets to the page where you have to press "Accept".

This restores the unit to factory defaults just as it came from the factory. The only thing that is retained are any updates you had installed. You will have to re-install your waypoints, all your settings such as transducer type, overlay data, etc. A hard reset fixes a lot of problems, just like any computer.

Then make sure you have installed the proper updates for your Gen2 (if your Gen2 is a Touch model be sure to install the Touch updates). Also install the time patch needed for the Gen2 if you hadn't already).

Another thing to consider, is to make sure your battery and power connections to the HDS are all solid and working well. Inadequate power causes all sorts of gremlins.

Usually when the screen dims it is either a power issue or the user dimmed the screen accidentally which is done by brief presses of the power button. Continued brief presses keeps changing the brightness level until it is fully restored again. The hard reset restores this of course.

Everything is worth a try before having to buy new if you don't need the features or speed of a new unit. In my case the new units are necessary to handle the mapping I do, and all the transducers and functions I like to use.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Thanks Marc I will try this and yes I do have the latest update in it patch Gen2 from April 2019 switchover. I'm starting to wonder if maybe some moisture could be causing these issues since last week my bilge pump stayed on most of the day fishing in the rain. Probably should have turned it off and covered it. Don't think its 100 % water proof!

6. Member
    If you do end up buying new keep in mind Lowrance has MAP pricing. So the retail price is set and all vendors will show that price. Many will have deals that only show up when you add the item to your cart or call them for the actual pricing. They are not allowed to advertise for less.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    Check with Russell Marine Products, they sell used and refurbished units.

John

8. Member
    Thanks everyone for the input. I did a hard reset an looks like it is working normal now, except I cannot put in mm/dd/year. I do have anther question about downloading on a usb card. Is it ok to use a card that already has waypoints, routs and trails copied to it or will it copy over the existing information?
    Tanks Terry

9. Member
    Glad things appear to be working again. If you need to look at new units, check out FTO Marine. They are a board sponsor.

10. Member
    It is best to use a blank SD card.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterBill200 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I did a hard reset an looks like it is working normal now, except I cannot put in mm/dd/year. I do have anther question about downloading on a usb card. Is it ok to use a card that already has waypoints, routs and trails copied to it or will it copy over the existing information?
    Tanks Terry
    Glad it is working for you again, and thanks for letting us know. You can use the same SD card, but you should change the name of the file before you save it to the SD card to avoid overwriting your old file. I always like to name my waypoint file with the month and year in the name so I remember how old the backup file is (example: WaypointsAugust2020).
    ciao,
    Marc