Another Mega360 Question

It looks like there would be issues with the 360 transducer when running in rough water. When the trolling motor is stowed and the boat is on pad, how is running in rough water possible without shaking the shaft and transducer of the 360 so violently that you cause damage to it? I fish lake Erie a lot and sometimes a pounding while running is normal. And I am not talking about running stupid. I am old enough that I am as careful as you can be, but Erie will beat you around even when you are being careful. I see the pros running very hard in really rough water with 360 units mounted. Obviously they are not breaking them. Just wondered how this is possible.

2. Member
    I fish Erie And st Clair too but no 360.
    ive seen some guys make a foam block to fit between the shaft of the 360 and the trolling motor and bungee it, you’d think they’d make something though for added support....

The 360 shaft is a trolling motor shaft so it is not fragile and can handle any water you will run on.
    Flexing in rough water is OK, it absorbs the shock loads. Bracing it so it can't flex may cause damage to the pod-it is an electric motor with a disk attached.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Also wondered about this but noticed it bouncing around more when seeing it in my rear view mirror when towing down the road.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

5. Member
    I run Champlain, Ontario, and St Lawrence. I've been out in a bunch of small craft advisories and never thought for one minute it was going to brake. I feel the brace will do more harm taking away from the shafts ability to absorb the shock. I would bet that people that claimed to have broken the shaft in rough water have prior to the event banged it on a dock or something.

6. Member
    Ok guys. Thanks for info. Hard to believe, but I trust the guys on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by the76kid View Post
    Ok guys. Thanks for info. Hard to believe, but I trust the guys on this page.
    My two cents. I believe in using the spongy block foam that HB packages and ships the 360. I use the block while trailering long distances and if the water is bigger than I like. The spongy foam block has plenty of give and I don’t ever use it deployed.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

8. Member
    I believe palaniuk trailers with the 360 Unmounted and strapped to the deck. So take it from a pro. Maybe there’s something too it .

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    I believe palaniuk trailers with the 360 Unmounted and strapped to the deck. So take it from a pro. Maybe there’s something too it .
    That was the original, because the transducer is in a liquid bath and would bubble when it got really shaken up. That would cause a very distorted picture until the bubbles settled