Temps dropping...what would you do

with the water having been up in the upper 80s now we have a huge cool portion of temps coming in.
    early morning air temps have been in the upper 60s low 70s and highs in the 80s

with this type of major temp change what would you do? go shallower

2. Member
    Good question, I'd be interested in what others had to say.

3. Member
    Keep doing the same thing! 30 degree drop from the day before is called Tuesday in Michigan!!!

Seriously though, the fish I fish for are very use to it. It would have to be major major change to really affect them this time of year. In my opinion, my fishing partner (my Dad) lets stuff like that get in his head. I think it doesn't effect them near as much as we may think. In the spring, oh yeah no doubt, it's time to change.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    Keep doing the same thing! 30 degree drop from the day before is called Tuesday in Michigan!!!
    I know we are talking primarily bass here, but these conditions always seemed to give the walleye lock-jaw. Blue-sky, Cold front days after heavy rain.

Probably not going to make much of a difference. It may cool the top 1 foot of water a bit, but other than that it won't have the impact that you may think.

6. Member
    Here in N.Y., I always have observed the first cool night after Aug 15 th. Is when fishing picks up. foggy mornings, The days are getting shorter and the bass know it. Baitfish are getting frisky and schooling, topwater fishing picks up!! Spook starts catching bigger fish!! Water starts dropping in some lakes, fishing shallower picks up. Buzzbait and big spinnerbait. I always get out my big ugly Gilmore jumper... Pia to cast, but it's this time of year it works great. Smallmouth really exploded on that thing!
    We just had hurricane remnants come thru here so every place Got a blast of cold dirty water. Not as hot, so it's gonna be good. Haven't had much rain this summer so places needed it.
    I just bought some rogues on the for sale board, can't wait to get those and try them!!

Not much of a break from the heat, but I was out on Table Rock Wednesday and caught some on Keitechs. Never caught any right on the bank, some were in as shallow as 10 feet, but I'd say out around 20 feet were where the majority were located. There were also fish chasing shad on top over 50 FOW.