Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Less than 50% of the population gets a flu shot. The number I would like to see and have never been able to find, is how many of that 40,000 got the flu shot?
    That's a good point. However, there might be a reason why you've yet to find that statistic.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    The number are what they are, some are accurate some are not. Everyone wants to fight about the numbers that cant or wont be verified for a long time. In the meantime we need to be focused on the fact that the most powerful and richest nation in the world couldn't handle a pandemic. The media and politicians fight so much about who is left and who is right that they forget we are in this together. The economy has been decimated, our schools are in tethers and we are fighting over statics. It truly is a sad state of affairs right now. I really thought this country would be a leader in this fight like we have been in the past but we have just become too petty.

If they don't get back to football, I can just imagine all the jetski knuckleheads in Brewski jerseys and jorts on Sunday! Lord please have football!

4. Banned
    Got my positive test last week going back to work next Monday. CDC says you can return in 10 days if showing no symptoms. If a worker can return to work shortly after a positive test why couldn't a football player?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    What happens when the vaccine doesn't get here in 2021? What if the virus mutates and the vaccine isn't effective? Do we just keep things shut down? Life is not safe, and no amount of vaccines, mask wearing, or huddling at home is going to change that.
    You are correct, that life will never be safe. We have never faced anything quite like this virus, however, and no one knows what the downstream effects could be even if you recover from it. We are fortunate that this virus is not very lethal, but a large part of what they are doing is to develop protocols that can be used should we have a future pandemic outbreak. We are learning on the fly so to speak, and all of the information on transmission rates, mortality figures by age, potential treatments, etc. are part of saving lives if and when we have an outbreak of something much worse. We can't afford to get caught with our pants down again like we did with Covid-19, with no real organized and consistent plan to contain it. It's a shame to have to admit that the USA has not done nearly as well as many other developed nations in minimizing the number of cases, but it became politicized here and the overall response and compliance has been a "cluster".

6. Member
    According to foxnew.com the current death rate is 3.3%. So the question is, if left unchecked and 1/3 of the population (100 Million) become infected. 3.3 million will die. Is that an acceptable number?
    I think it's hard to determine an "acceptable number of deaths" from any disease. That probably depends on whether one of those fatalities is someone you know.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by 61Woody View Post
    Are your figures verifiable Covid only deaths or are there a bunch of other deaths tossed in ? How many have died from the common flu this year? There are no accurate numbers.
    The flu season ended on April 4 so thus far there has been little to no overlap between flu season and COVID-19. According to the CDC, in the 2019/2020 flue season of Oct. 1 - April 1 there were 39-56 million flu illnesses and 24,000 - 62,000 deaths (95% C.I.). Define "accurate numbers". I'm using data provided by verifiable sources. If you don't like the science, then do better science. The number of cases is likely far higher than the nearly 5 million reported thus far and the number of deaths is also likely under reported but epidemiologists project that cases are more under reported than are deaths.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Got my positive test last week going back to work next Monday. CDC says you can return in 10 days if showing no symptoms. If a worker can return to work shortly after a positive test why couldn't a football player?
    I would think that most workers have very limited physical contact with each other, while football players have a great deal of contact and are exposed to sweat, spit, blood, etc. on a daily basis, not to mention sharing meal and shower facilities.

For reasons i can not discuss here , I will not be supporting my beloved LSU anymore and it breaks my heart but as of now i could care less if all college and pro sports evaporated ,,I have been done with pro sports for many years but now it's completely over ,,,

10. Member
    If MLB couldn't keep 30 teams on the field for 2 weeks without having to cancel games why does anyone think college football can? The NCAA may as well chalk up the 2020 season as a loss and start planning for 2021.

11. Member
    It's not about numbers or age related illness, it's about liability. It wont take long for the lawsuits to start showing up, especially if a kid brings it home and it kills a family member or friend.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    159,000 deaths out of 4,864, 282 confirmed cases is a 3.27 mortality rate, or on the flip side, a 96.73% survival rate. You need to work on your math skills.
    We are talking about college athletes here, their mortality rate is essentially zero.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

The flu season ended on April 4 so thus far there has been little to no overlap between flu season and COVID-19. According to the CDC, in the 2019/2020 flue season of Oct. 1 - April 1 there were 39-56 million flu illnesses and 24,000 - 62,000 deaths (95% C.I.). Define "accurate numbers". I'm using data provided by verifiable sources. If you don't like the science, then do better science. The number of cases is likely far higher than the nearly 5 million reported thus far and the number of deaths is also likely under reported but epidemiologists project that cases are more under reported than are deaths.
    So nobody is allowed to get the flu after April 4th? I had the flu in the middle of June 2 years ago. Why are the number of pneumonia cases down right now? Why are the number of reported flu cases decreasing? I'm not saying the virus isn't real and very much has lethal potential, but forcing people into suicide (rates are up 600% on that right now by the way) because of lost income, etc. is not necessarily a good thing either.

I'm nowhere near smart enough to have the right answers, but cancelling everything doesn't seem acceptable either.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Amazing, this made it to 3 pages....Good discussion here, keep it rolling guys

Spanky

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS22 View Post
    If MLB couldn't keep 30 teams on the field for 2 weeks without having to cancel games why does anyone think college football can? The NCAA may as well chalk up the 2020 season as a loss and start planning for 2021.
    Just caught the MLB covid report this morning that stated they were not quarantined what did they think was going to happen? Keep the athletes and coaches separated for ten weeks not a problem.

16. Member
    Less than 50% of the population gets a flu shot. The number I would like to see and have never been able to find, is how many of that 40,000 got the flu shot?
    Only related number I found was 20% of under 18year olds that died took the flu shot.

Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    For reasons i can not discuss here , I will not be supporting my beloved LSU anymore and it breaks my heart but as of now i could care less if all college and pro sports evaporated ,,I have been done with pro sports for many years but now it's completely over ,,,
    Come call the Hogs. We need all the help we can get lol.

18. Banned
    I'm hoping NFL is not happening...

19. Member
    159,000 deaths out of 4,864, 282 confirmed cases is a 3.27 mortality rate, or on the flip side, a 96.73% survival rate. You need to work on your math skills.
    You do realizebefore your Smart A$$ comment he was talking about a certain age group, not total nationwide deaths. Please read the whole thread

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It's not about numbers or age related illness, it's about liability. It wont take long for the lawsuits to start showing up, especially if a kid brings it home and it kills a family member or friend.
    I can't believe it took this many posts for someone to say it. There is no doubt in my mind this is a consideration.

Okay, I got my post in before this one gets axed..
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast