I need help! Jack plate stuck

I tried adjusting my manual jack plate tonight. But I now have broke off one of my bolts. And now my jack plate is stuck and it is cockeyed and I can’t get it back to normal! HELP!

2. Member
    I did this years ago. If memory serves me right, I wound up replacing them all. I also had to remove the weight of the motor off the jack plate to get it squared back up. I put a very small amount of antiseize on all the bolts.

3. Member
    I’d start by taking out the broken bolt and finding a replacement. Stainless bolt with lock nut, most hardware stores should have it. Then soak the others in penetrating oil as well as the jack plate itself. It should free up. When I adjust mine, I just loosen the nuts and as I’m adjusting the plate I trim the motor up and down to kind of shake it free. Grab a tape then to verify it’s even, you can rock it side to side to make small changes to level it

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I did get my jack plate to move down to where I wanted it. But now I still can’t get the bolts to go back in. I did jack on the motor and took some weight off the plate. This seemed to help. The bolt I broke off is the lowest bolt on my jack plate. So it is in the 1” in rectangle block. I could move the aluminum block but I still couldn’t get the bolt out. It almost seems like I screwed up the threads or something. How did you get out the broken bolt?

5. Member
    Taking weight off should help. Is the top of the bolt gone? Can you get a wrench/tool on it to turn?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keoweeskeeter View Post
    Taking weight off should help. Is the top of the bolt gone? Can you get a wrench/tool on it to turn?
    I broke off about 3/4 of and inch on the bolt. So I really can’t get a tool in there to take the bolt out. I don’t think the jack plate has ever been adjusted so the bolts are all really tight and are hard to move. I want to try and get the rectangular block completely off the jack plate and then try to remove the bolt and if I can’t I may have a machine shop make you a new block.

7. Member
    A tap & die set may be required to get that bolt out.

8. Member
    Thanks for alll the reply’s. I ended up just braking the other bolt off as well and I turned the block 90 degrees and taped 2 new holes. It went on smoothly.