Thread: Rooster tail

Rooster tail

Ok so just as a rule of thumb at wot you don’t want your rooster tail shooting above your trimmed up motor would that be correct ? If it is shooting above I would want to lower the motor would that be correct ? Just a general question I’m just going through some set up on new to me motor and prop once I get the height right I’ll post some numbers and will have some more questions lol thanks again

2. Member
    That's what I have been told. Mine was about half way up when I got the best speed.
    Each brand and boat are different though.

Quote Originally Posted by pat6363 View Post
    Ok so just as a rule of thumb at wot you don’t want your rooster tail shooting above your trimmed up motor would that be correct ? If it is shooting above I would want to lower the motor would that be correct ? Just a general question I’m just going through some set up on new to me motor and prop once I get the height right I’ll post some numbers and will have some more questions lol thanks again
    Maybe, maybe not, there a lot of variables involved, You do have to find the correct prop and the correct mounting height for your boat that will allow for less trim up. It is not height, it is the trim angle. If the motor is to high the prop will have some slip and may lose bow lift, as a result the operator increase trim up trying to get more lift and speed, an ideal setup the boat would be almost flat and a very long low rooster tail. Some props provide much better lift allowing for less trim up when mounted high. Motor height has to be revaluated with any prop/modifications change or load changes.
    You do have to find out what is to high and what is low for your boat and how it is rigged
    A good place to start is the forums for your boat to find what most owners are starting with, and make decision on what is most important to you, Holeshot, rough water ride, handling or speed. This will help you decide on good starting point for the proper prop, with that prop installed then you find the best height for your application.
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-03-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Thanks for the in depth reply appreciated

5. Member
    Keep an eye on that water pressure while running too. Trimmed up too high and your water pressure drops too much. I've always read that 18 PSI is as low as you want to have while running full throttle.
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom