Storm affect on river fish?

Just wondering if this storm will hurt the Albermarle river bass fishing like some hurricanes have in the past? I sure enjoy fishing those rivers. Sure don't want to see fish kills

2. Banned
    Personally, i do not think the system will be over us long enough to drop enough rain and flush all the dead water from the backs of the creeks. If it moves as quickly as they have said on the weather around here it should be a thing of the past by tomorrow afternoon.

3. Member
    Rivers are stirred up here, but overall id say they faired pretty well, saw a couple big floaters/trees on the pasquotank this am, Water is still up as of this afternoon but should begin to flow out this evening.

4. Member
    Storm surge is what backs up into the rivers and then the swamps,when it recedes the dead water causes fish kills. It doesn’t seem like there was enough storm surge to matter with this one. I think the fish will be fine.

I believe in Rips opinion on this based on growing up down there and seeing how these things normally go.

6. Member
    Please, educate me one dead water in shallows !! I don't have a clue what that means ? When I lived in Louisiana and big storm surge happens , it wasn't back water that killed fish. Now obviously that's a big body of water, but wind would knock down willows in the water (shallow water) Willows after 2-3 days puts toxins in water, and creates, bad water conditions. Low oxygen levels from back water would be replenished with oxygen rite/ wrong. Don't know I'm asking.

7. Member
    I hope the storm has little impact on the rivers. I have debated asking on here but I guess this is as good as any place to ask. I am fishing the fishers of men nc divisional on New River in Jacksonville in one month. My eastern NC river fishing knowledge is not that great but I fished the Roanoke and Trent Neuse a few times in the 80's. Caught them well in the Roanoke a few times but other than that I thought he fishing was very tough. I have extremely LOW expectations of the New River. Am I wrong in my assumptions? Hope this storm didn't kill what few fish may live in this river.

8. Banned
    All the dead water is places where the water has been sitting and pretty much got stagnant and has almost zero oxygen. A lot of this water contains way to many nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorus which is widely used in farming. It suffocates the fish when all the back water gets mixed in with where the fish are. I have seen a couple of fish kills on the rivers that were so bad you could just about walk across the river witout getting your feet wet. You can probably google this and get a better explanation that this.

9. Member
    Thanks, did know of farmers wash, but thought most was nitrogen and got flushed with quick high water rain fall.

10. Member
    Limit long, you might want to make time to prefish the New River. Bottom line, it seemed to be coming back pretty good then the hurricanes last year put a beating on that body of water. In fairness, I have avoided it since last year but I’d offer if you truly want a shot at winning you need to go up river and go far up it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
    Limit long, you might want to make time to prefish the New River. Bottom line, it seemed to be coming back pretty good then the hurricanes last year put a beating on that body of water. In fairness, I have avoided it since last year but I’d offer if you truly want a shot at winning you need to go up river and go far up it.
    Will prefish for two days. Thanks for the info.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey N.C. View Post
    Please, educate me one dead water in shallows !! I don't have a clue what that means ? When I lived in Louisiana and big storm surge happens , it wasn't back water that killed fish. Now obviously that's a big body of water, but wind would knock down willows in the water (shallow water) Willows after 2-3 days puts toxins in water, and creates, bad water conditions. Low oxygen levels from back water would be replenished with oxygen rite/ wrong. Don't know I'm asking.
    Down here,there is a lot of stagnant water in the swamps and low grounds that don’t normally have any flow. The decaying plant matter from leaves and weeds deplete the oxygen to zero. When the water rises and backwashes out this dead water is flushed out into the rivers and drops the oxygen in them. Keep in mind there might be several hundred acres of swamp in just one swamp. I remember a few years ago after Isabelle ( I think), the oxygen level in Roanoke was at zero for nine days. Every living thing in the water was killed.

13. Member
    Tidal River Fish Kills explained here:

Biologists Investigate Widespread Fish Kills After Hurricane Florence | wfmynews2.com

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Fishing/documents/2014-Chowan-Report.pdf
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC