out of state boat purchase

looking to buy a boat from Michigan. anybody ever bought a boat from out of state? if so anything special I need to know? I assume I have to pay sales tax when I register it anybody know the rate?
    thanks
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 PolarKraft TX 195 Pro
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

2. Scraps
    The taxes will be the thing. I understand if buying from a dealer you pay taxes on boat, motor and trailer. If buying from private party taxes on trailer only most often but depending on state.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I just bought a new boat out of state. You will want a bill of sale for the motor, boat and trailer all priced separate.

4. Member
    Sales taxes will be paid at BMV. If you buy from dealer, they will do the paperwork to take to the BMV. If from individual, you will need a bill of sale listing all three parts. Boat/motor/trailer. Sales tax will be 7%. Will also have to pay registration for the boat and for trailer plates.

5. Member
    I bought mine (used) from Georgia. No titles in Georgia so I had to do the title paperwork when I got it back home. I also had my local PD check out the VIN to make sure it wasn't stolen before I made the drive. Make sure you get a bill of sale, BMV has a version you can print and use.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

You will not be able to register it without a hull ID check. If you have a cop friend they can do it for free, if not take it to your local PD during office hours and pay the fee, usually around $10.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

7. Member
    it will be from an out of state dealer and the boat is a demo boat . do you pay taxes on all 3? is there a different rate for boat, trailer, motor?do you have to pay taxes on the motor?
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Good luck with the BMV. 9 years ago, I moved back here from Alabama. They have no title for boat, trailer or motor. It took me forever to get my boat registered here. What you need varies from one license branch to another. I'd have a bill of sale for boat, motor and trailer. Also if you can obtain it a certificate of origin. If the dealer had you pay sales tax, they should give you something to show that its been paid. I tried calling the state office of the BMV. They gave me all kinds of conflicting information. I'd go to your local license branch and ask them what you need, then go from there. The guys are right, you will need to get the VIN number verified by an LEO. I called my local sheriff's office and they sent an officer out to do the verification. No charge.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

9. Member
    I financed for a few months because the loan folks took care of all of the paperwork as part of the deal. Well worth it in my opinion. Once paperwork was transferred and legal, I paid it off.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

10. Member
    do you have to pay taxes on the motor since it isn't registered or just on the purchase price of the hull and trailer
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

Quote Originally Posted by catfishjn69 View Post
    do you have to pay taxes on the motor since it isn't registered or just on the purchase price of the hull and trailer
    That's why you get separate bills of sale for each component. The BMV doesn't care about the motor since it doesn't get registered, but if you have one bill of sale for the total amount paid, that is what you pay sales tax on. Show them the price for the boat and the trailer and don't mention the motor.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

12. Member
    copy
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    That's why you get separate bills of sale for each component. The BMV doesn't care about the motor since it doesn't get registered, but if you have one bill of sale for the total amount paid, that is what you pay sales tax on. Show them the price for the boat and the trailer and don't mention the motor.
    ^^^ This is what I was getting at as well. Usually a lot of your value is in the motor ;)

14. Member
    If you have a boat located that you are wanting to buy,,jump on it before it’s sold. I know of one boat dealer in central Indiana that has 78 boats ordered and sold and waiting on delivery and it’s probably going to be late fall even November before he can get them for his customers. The market is ugly in stock available to look at and buy. Just a FYI.

15. Member
    The BMV will do the trailer vin and hull check or at least mine did when I purchased mine last year. As long as all the paperwork matches you wont have any issues. All I had was a bill of sale and no titles as TN doesn't issue them (which the BMV verified).

When I bought my boat from a dealer in Ohio I had to pay Ohio's 6% sales tax. When I went to BMV to register the boat and trailer, I had to pay the difference from Indiana sales tax and Ohio sales tax which is 1%. I think Michigan's rate is 6% also, so you would have to do the same and pay 1% sales tax to Indiana after paying 6% to Michigan. I hope that makes sense.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

17. Member
    bought the boat yesterday thanks for the help
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

what did you get?

19. Member
    i bought a polar kraft tx190 with a 200 suzuki from marsh brothers marine in Quincy Michigan
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS