250SS Lower unit oil

About to do my first 20 hour service, what gear oil is best for the lower unit? My manual says 90 weight but looks like Suzuki brand comes in 90 and 80w-90.

2. Member
    I was told by my dealer that Mercury lower unit oil is fine to use. I believe it’s 90 weight well.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    My 200 manual states 90w, but not high performance.

4. Member
    90w

5. Member
    I use the Suzuki oils and lubes.

6. Member
    I use royal purple for everything. The auto gear lube works great for me. Great discount at auto stores online.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering Suzuki product since I could not find it locally in stock. One thing I did notice is the mercury and some other oils are gl-4 rated and don’t match the gl-5 rating the Suzuki specifies. The mercury oils may work well but I am going to stick with the Suzuki gl-5 oils for now.

8. Member
    Yes stick with GL5 rated.

Down the track, think about getting the 100hr service kits from Suzuki, they have all the parts required for a normal 100hr service in one handy pack.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Yes stick with GL5 rated.

Down the track, think about getting the 100hr service kits from Suzuki, they have all the parts required for a normal 100hr service in one handy pack.
    The pack I bought didn't have gear lube. If Suzy says GL-5, I'd stick with it. I used to use High Performance Sierra gear lube on my 175 DF, never had an issue. Now using 90W on my new 200.

Royal Purple for lower units period. Saw a split open Evinrude lower unit make it back 15 miles with a hole in it the gears looked great even after running that far on the river. The only thing the guy could attribute to him making it back was he always used Royal Purple in the lower unit.

11. Member
    I use the Suzuki oils and lubes

12. Member
    I have no doubt that all of you know more about lower units and engines than I do. I have no doubt you all know the differences in your oils and have more perspective on the truth about oils. But I'm never putting any engine or lower unit oil in there that isn't EXACTLY what Suzuki recommends and the Suzuki brand itself. I even take it to my authorized Suzuki dealer and have them do it for documentation. If you have an engine under warranty, I couldn't fathom thinking any differently with such a high priced item. This last 100 hour warranty service I had to drive it 1.5 hours each way and not have my boat for a week. But I think nothing of it for piece of mind. And maybe if I was comfortable doing it myself would save me a lot of time and hassle. But no thanks for now.

13. Member
    We know where you're coming from Kev.