Strange G-2 Issue

About a year ago I had an issue where I could not get my G-2 powered bass boat on pad. The motor would bog down when I tried to blast off. I tried a variety of techniques from feathering the throttle to hammer the throttle. Weird thing is "sometimes" when I switched from hand throttle to foot throttle it would struggle but eventually get on "the pipe" and i was off and running.

That was a year ago, the good news is after 2 try's I found a shop willing to put in the diagnostic/ trouble shooting time to figure it out and they fixed me up.
    Fast forward to this past weekend during a 2 day tournament, the problem reared its ugly head again but we were able to fish and finish the event, thank goodness!

My question pertains to when this happened a year ago, I was told (and shown) the faulty part was a capacitor. i assume this is once again the problem.
    This thing looked like the size of a can of Red Bull, so pretty large.

Why does this keep happening is what I want to know?

It is possible the capacitor was bad and could be bad again, it could also be possible you simply need a new set of spark plugs.

It you have the ability to remove the starboard colored side panel and remove the three spark plugs, see if the ground pads on the ground straps are there, if they are there they will look like a white dot.
    If they have fallen off or if the plug is no longer firing the pad will be gone or not be white (see pic) either way you need new spark plugs.

See the hole where the ground strap pad should be, this plug will cause the engine to bog on take off.
    Spark plug pad missing 1.jpg

One other thing that will help a G2 once you replace the spark plugs is, if running a new Evinrude prop with adjustable vents, open the vents fully, this seems to help when the plugs start to become an issue.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

If you don't mind waiting you can take it to your dealer and they might be able to get the spark plugs covered under warranty.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

4. Member
    I wanted to circle back on this, I have had the boat to the mechanic and got it back yesterday but not yet on the water.
    My guy is always busy so it took weeks to get in but he works on your stuff the day of your appointment, what a concept :-)

Anyway he checked all the stuff from the last time it all checked out, and ultimately his conclusion was my motor was experiencing "vapor lock" He changed out a selenoid and said I am good to go??

Ever heard of this??

5. rjw11111
    had same or similar problem it ended up being cooling line to exhaust being clogged -was told cold water pumped into exhaust helps raise horespower. Havent had any problems since.

You have a hydrolic jackplate? Run it to the top. Mine has a problem when the motor is buried in The water.
    1999 Triton tr21 225 opti
    2004 Ranger 520vx 225 Evinrude HO
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Evinrude G2

7. Member
    I got the boat back and on the water yesterday. I am not sure what "Vapor Lock" is but I can tell you I still have the problem so this diagnosis was wrong.
    I love everything about the boat and motor so this issue is very frustrating!

How the motor can rocket you out of the hole for a while and then for reasons as yet unknown, struggle to get on pad and make power. Bogging down is the best way to describe this thing.

8. Member
    Did he change the spark plugs?

9. Member
    He did not. Said that he did the last time I was there and they only have 30 hours on them

10. Member
    But then how does he know the pads are on the plug tips or not per Elgin’s post? Just sayin.....

11. Member
    If yours is a 250HO or 300, they should check the water valve. Hopefully they did a drop test and the spark plugs should get inspected. Prop vents should also be full open. Out of curiosity, what is the elevation where you run your boat? Also, do you run Rec fuel or E-10?

12. Member
    My elevation here is 900 ft. and I run 89 octane, not E-10

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtec View Post
    If yours is a 250HO or 300, they should check the water valve. Hopefully they did a drop test and the spark plugs should get inspected. Prop vents should also be full open. Out of curiosity, what is the elevation where you run your boat? Also, do you run Rec fuel or E-10?
    Hopefully the last update on this issue. There was some reluctance from BRP to approve the replacement of the water valve but after a few painful months this was the most recent repair done to my motor. I am happy to say the holeshot is back to normal as well the general performance of the motor. Fingers crossed this is the final chapter with a happy ending!

Glad you are up and running again.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

15. Member
    Thanks for letting us know. This is good to hear.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    Hopefully the last update on this issue. There was some reluctance from BRP to approve the replacement of the water valve but after a few painful months this was the most recent repair done to my motor. I am happy to say the holeshot is back to normal as well the general performance of the motor. Fingers crossed this is the final chapter with a happy ending!
    I've heard of this water valve but have no idea what it is or what it does? Just curious.

Thankfully my G2 300 has ran like a top in the 3 years-200 hours since new.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma