Thread: Did I bend it

Question Did I bend it

When I put the BassCat in the garage yesterday, I didn't angle it enough and when I opened the garage this morning, the TM skeg got hung on the garage door brace. The garage door popped off it's track, as it should have, and I had to wiggle the boat sideways to get the door to open. What I don't understand, is how the door closed yesterday and then hung up when opening this morning. Anyway, did I bend the TM skeg when closing the garage door yesterday (as the bend is downward) or do they normally look like this? I honestly don't remember what it should look like. If it is bent, does it matter and is it fixable, and if so, how? I don't understand how that little amount of force from the brace did this, if it did. It's a Minn Kota 36V Fortrex.

Oh, and stay away form me for a few days as our house A/C quit on Saturday morning, so I am having a bad karma time.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    When I installed mine it looked the same way out of the box. For some reason the housing was loose and I was able to move it by hand. See it you can move it and if so it needs to be tightened

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You may have just rotated the housing. Can’t really tell from the picture. Generally you can loosen the screws on the rear of the motor and rotate it back if that is the case.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    OK, removed the prop and the nuts behind it, checked the seals (on both ends) and they appear to be good and smooth, re installed face and rear piece with the face piece in correct alignment. If the seals fail and water gets in, does the trolling motor fail? Should I do anything else other than put it in the water and see if it leaks?

Thanks all.

5. Member
    I am replacing the seals, just in case.
    What do I torque the long bolts to?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I am replacing the seals, just in case.
    What do I torque the long bolts to?
    You may can use this for reference..I got this from mk support for the ultrex.

thrubolt.png

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G48 View Post
    You may can use this for reference..I got this from mk support for the ultrex.

thrubolt.png
    That is exactly what I need. Thank you very much!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    That is exactly what I need. Thank you very much!

9. Member
    If you can borrow an inch pound torque wrench, do it if you can. It will not take much to over torque it. That is less than most spark plugs are rated for. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go