Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Depends on fox. If they are grey foxes then no problem at all. They are also the best mousers you can have around.
    Red fox are much larger and can and will prey on smaller or near equal size mammals.
    We have several families of grey fox around the lake house and they are fun to watch. The kits play like little puppies and get quite used to humans.
    Thanks

2. Member
    I'd be more worried about a fox going under a fence. They dig like a backhoe. Rabies would be my concern. Congrats on the new house.

3. Member
    the babys make good pets , I raised 2 gray fox from pups once and they were just like dogs ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

4. Member
    Chances are they will be no problem. If they are a problem, eliminate them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    You shouldn't have to worry to much about foxes but Coyotes are a sure bet to attack your cats or dog.
    A large healthy fox will absolutely feed on cats if they can get the jump on them. Watched one take a stray out of our yard. Fishing buddy used to collect roadkill cats for bait on his fox sets.
    The scrawny little fox around here now can barely take down a squirrel but he sure does like the neighbor's chickens

Speaking of small rodent eaters, we have two owls that hang around. At dusk you will see them swoop down from a tree, grab something on the ground and land in another tree. Nature balance.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Chances are they will be no problem. If they are a problem, eliminate them.
    If I see them, they are a problem. THIS

Sounds like a target rich environment. Wait till their fur is prime and get you some pelts.

We have a 4 lbs Yorkie, I would be concerned with her around foxes. I also don't like to let her out at night due to owls and at times we have had hawks that hang around. We used to have a 10lbs Yorkie, one day she was outside and my Lab was inside and he started going absolutely nuts running around jumping on me wanting to go outside. I finally let him out and he took off running to our back fence where the biggest red tail hawk I've ever seen was sitting staring right at our Yorkie who was standing next to our house. That hawk took off and flew right over the top of me and it was huge.
    Like was said, foxes are known to carry rabies so be careful with that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Speaking of small rodent eaters, we have two owls that hang around. At dusk you will see them swoop down from a tree, grab something on the ground and land in another tree. Nature balance.
    We are covered up with barred owls often within 10 yards of the house but I've never seen them even attempt to make a kill. I took these pics a couple of weeks ago when the robins and sparrows were after him. Unfortunately my old lens isn't compatible with my new 80D without getting firmware upgrade so wouldn't focus correctly. The 2nd pic is just seconds before he got whacked in the back of the head by a sparrow.

Owl 1.JPG
    Owl 2.JPG

Foxes should not be a problem, however Coyotes are a whole different deal, they will kill any pets that they can get to (solution to neighborhood crazy cat lady)......LOL

Spanky

12. Member
    I have lived on Lake Guntersville for almost 15 years. We have lots of fox coyotes, eagles and a aggressive beaver that has eaten a couple of our trees. We knew this going in that there would be wild life. Our 15 year old 10 lb dog just died of old age. He used to get in arguments with the geese. It is a matter of taking care of and watching your pets. I would be more worried about a pet getting run over in an urban area .

We have a family of foxes around my house the past 4 months. Have them on security camera playing with the golf balls on my hitting mat in the back yard at night.
    When our small dog (mini collie/mini poodle mix) would be in the yard the foxes would run out of the yard. A few times it's like the fox know where the electric fence is as they will stand in the neighbors yard looking at the dog.
    Every now and then I'll find a dead rabbit or squirrel carcass in the yard. Dont know if they bring it as a present for our dog or not.

The other day my neighbor said they found a dead fox in the back corner of their yard a few weeks back as they smelled something bad. I never smelled anything. My son said maybe it choked on a golf ball which makes sense as there were 3 young fox and the mom and all of a sudden there were 2 young fox and the mom. Crazy thing is my neighbors went to put lime on the dead fox but when they went to do it the dead fox was gone.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12