Thread: OX66 trim Relay

OX66 trim Relay

Looks like the trim relay is shot. Was having issues where the finders would shut off when I was trimming this weekend even tho I had 12.2 volts at the units. Have battery voltage at the relay but Only getting 8v coming of the relay. Anyone ever used an aftermarket relay or just bite the bullet and get the way overpriced Yamaha one?

Sounds like too small and too weak of a battery to me.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Sounds like too small and too weak of a battery to me.
    I vote to check this first. Specific gravity if a flooded cell, monitor the voltage at the battery when running trim or cranking.

4. Member
    It’s not the battery. It’s a month old 31 agm.
    jackplate works fine at glutton speed but trim will barely move. Until this last weekend, the trim and starter, all units and M360 all worked fine. Trim solenoid is just old and burnt and drawing extra current. If it has 12+ going in and 8V coming out, pretty sure it’s a relay.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I can't really see where the relay will affect the battery voltage. It's going to be the draw of what the relay is controlling, i.e. the trim pump.

6. Member
    The voltage does not drop below 12.2 when trimming or using jackplate.
    battery is fine
    I tore the relay apart and the contact are burnt bad. I ordered a relay. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I can't really see where the relay will affect the battery voltage. It's going to be the draw of what the relay is controlling, i.e. the trim pump.
    So you are saying that a Bad relay would not effect the amount of voltage coming out of the relay? If I put power to the trim motor wires, it tries to move at the normal speed.

8. Member
    Sounds like a voltage drop issue. Not a relay problem.

9. Member
    When I put the new relay in, I’ll let ya know if it was the relay or voltage drop.
    Still trying to see how when it has no battery voltage drop at the relay 12v supply stud but has low voltage coming out to the motor , that no one thinks it’s a relay.
    And no, it’s not a motor issue as it trims fine with power straight to the trim motor wires.

10. Member
    I will admit when I am wrong. I kept messing with it and Found the starter did not want to spin up full speed either. So I took the battery to be load tested and it showed fine. Hooked everything back up and it worked normal. I hooked all the wiring back up and it was back to the same problem. Seemed like maybe an issue with the cables, so I took them loose and checked and everything was ok. Shows 12v to engine, but won’t hold when trying to start or trim.
    I finally used a jumper cable between the big post on battery and the starter ground lug and it worked correctly. So I moved the battery ground To the accy connector that is Connected on the big lead post and Everything works fine. Tool battery back and had it load tested using the screw post and it shows bad. There is a problem with the screwpost but not the lead post. So load testing didn’t show and that is why the jackplate worked fine. So I’ll admit it, I was wrong. But who load tests a battery off the small screw post? And the battery wasn’t actually bad, just that connection. But you guys were Right, it was a voltage drop and I was wrong.

11. Member
    Glad you got it figured out, and more so for the follow-up. I, nor most battery testing locations I would think, would not test the battery off both the primary post AND the screw on post. So definitely something to take forward if I encounter illogical voltage readings.