Thread: Ultrex Swap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Ultrex Swap...

Hey guys, looking to swap over to an ultrex on my z118. I have a fortrex now with the support arm on the deck. If I get the same shaft length in the ultrex will the support arm rest in the same location?

thx

2. Member
    From what I have learned is that the bolt pattern is the same as I am planning the same swap on my 518 L and from what I have learned is the cover will still fit. If someone knows that the cover won’t fit please inform me Thanks.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

3. Banned
    I know the bolt patterns are the same. Just wondering if the bounce buster will land in the same location as the fortrex bounce buster ???

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    It will if it’s installed in the same place. Actually, I was thinking that a) the bounce buster has to install in the mounting holes on the tm bracket, so it can’t be anywhere else, but b) because there is a slight angle to the bounce buster rod, you’d need to use the same rod length on the new installation to keep it from landing in a spot that is an inch or so different. However, now that I think about it, the Ultrex is supposed to be 3 inches longer than the Fortrex [I don’t have a Fortrex here to measure], so even though it uses the same mounting holes, it might cause the bounce buster to be 3 inches further back. “Might.”
    Last edited by jc2bg; 08-03-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    It will if it’s installed in the same place. Actually, I was thinking that a) the bounce buster has to install in the mounting holes on the tm bracket, so it can’t be anywhere else, but b) because there is a slight angle to the bounce buster rod, you’d need to use the same rod length on the new installation to keep it from landing in a spot that is an inch or so different. However, now that I think about it, the Ultrex is supposed to be 3 inches longer than the Fortrex [I don’t have a Fortrex here to measure], so even though it uses the same mounting holes, it might cause the bounce buster to be 3 inches further back. “Might.”
    gotta be someone out there that replaced a fortrex with an ultrex that can assist me

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    gotta be someone out there that replaced a fortrex with an ultrex that can assist me
    You would think so. Maybe try over in the trolling motor forum as well? Shouldn’t matter which boat it is going on, in terms of matching the touch-down point.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

If it doesn't hit the same place is that gonna keep you from putting an Ultrex on? Mount that thing and then say, Why haven't I always had one. You'll love it.

8. Member
    Just swapped mine in March on a Z519c. Bounce buster lands on the same spot.
    2015 Z519C/Merc 225 Pro XS

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaw1 View Post
    Just swapped mine in March on a Z519c. Bounce buster lands on the same spot.
    ok perfect. So I’m swapping an 80# 45” fortrex for 80# 45” ultrex so the bounce buster will land in same location on deck??? Cool thx for info

10. Member
    If you’re unit angles and aligns inside the gunnel, check into getting a Troll Tamer by TH Marine. It will give your TM a longer life and keep it from bouncing all over the place. My Ultrex use to still bounce a lot with the support arm adjusted as fine as it could be. The Troll Tamer locks it down tight.
    “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail
    Ben Franklin

2000 Ranger 518vx Comanche

Yes...my bounce buster or whatever minn Kota calls that thing...lands in exactly the same place as my fortrex. I know because I have a disc carpet protector installed.

12. Member
    ultrex stands higher up like maybe 3" taller and its longer i think a 45 is really 48" long,i had to redrill my deck because the ultrex head would hang over the side of boat when flat on deck,i dont want it hanging over edge of the boat,looks bad and easy to hit the head on docks

13. Member
    I just swaped my 45" fortrex out for a 45" Ultrex 3 weeks ago and the bounce assist hit the same spot on the carpet.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    I just swaped my 45" fortrex out for a 45" Ultrex 3 weeks ago and the bounce assist hit the same spot on the carpet.
    perfect. And I assume you used the same mounting hole locations correct ???

15. Member
    perfect. And I assume you used the same mounting hole locations correct ???
    Yes, all of the existing holes lined up. It was a direct fit.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    ultrex stands higher up like maybe 3" taller and its longer i think a 45 is really 48" long,i had to redrill my deck because the ultrex head would hang over the side of boat when flat on deck,i dont want it hanging over edge of the boat,looks bad and easy to hit the head on docks
    I went from a Maxxum 70 to an Ultrex 80 on my Tin Ranger and had to move the Ultrex in a bunch so it wouldn't hang over the side like you described!

Moved it over, drilled new holes, filled the old holes with silicone, covered the deck with some Gator Guardz non-slip decking and put the Ultrex on properly.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

17. Member
    Ordered my Ultrex today and getting ready for the install.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

18. Banned
    Thanks for the info fellas. Now I have to find one in stock...

19. Member
    Cabelas.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    Cabelas.
    Negative

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast