2015 RT188 Speeds

I have a 2015 RT188 with a 2015 115 Pro XS (2 STROKE), 21 p Lazer II prop (no Jack Plate). I am getting 43 mph loaded. Just wondering if anyone is getting better than this (with a 2 stroke). If so what prop are you running?

Have a good one and thank God for it!

2. Member
    Same boat (2018), different two stroke (Etec with standard aluminum prop). I'm usually getting around 45 or slightly more depending on the day. This is with two people, a good amount of gear and a light load of fuel. I don't remember seeing more than 47. Holeshot and getting on plane is amazing. I think there are many on here with your motor. I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback.

3. Member
    You are about where everyone else is. Four or so MPH can be gained or lost depending on so many variables that it is hard to compare your boat performance to another.
    Your definition of loaded might be vastly different. Some folks carry a whole tackle shop and have a passenger weighing 300 lbs.
    On my boat, it runs about 2 MPH faster early in the morning with cooler temperature.
    I hit a shell bed and dinged the prop and had to have it reworked and lost a little I think.
    They make these boats by hand with hydraulics to hold the metal in a jig to weld it. It's not like a glass boat with a mold. They all are a little different.
    Mine runs a LOT differently depending on WHERE my heavy stuff is stored.
    Direction of the wind also makes a huge difference with these boats.
    You are running about 2 MPH slower than me but there are so many variables that could explain it that you can't really tell. For instance, I put my boat on a diet and don't carry a lot of tackle I don't use. I also run no ethanol premium fuel that Walmart sell.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

4. Member
    I’ve got the same set up as you motor wise. I do have a hyd jack though. The Laser II prop is probably the best choice for our rigs and most run that, with most motors set second hole down I think. What pitch works best depends on a lot of factors. You didn’t mention what rpm you’re turning with the 21p but the Optimax really opens up when you get near maximum.My boat couldn’t get enough rpm with a 21, with a 19p Laser II, I can get real close to max rpm (5750), corners great, and hole shot is awesome. I have a 20p also but prefer the 19, especially with 2 people. Speeds not much different between the 2. My boat has hit 49 once, but runs fairly consistently at 47 with me, 45 with a buddy.
    As others have said, no two are exactly alike and you’re running pretty good now. You could invest a good amount of money and time and Probably not gain much. 5 years of owning the 188/Merc and I’m just as satisfied as day one, not the fastest ride out there, but definitely one of the nicest to fish out of.
    2015 RT188 / Optimax ProXS 115

5. Member
    Thanks for all the info. I just went from an 188VS to this RT188. I am very satisfied with it. It actually has as much or more deck space and more storage than the 188VS. I have been looking for a used 20p to try but now might expand my search to a 20p or 19p. As for the RPM's, I can't remember. I'll have to check it out and write it down next time. It's an old timers thing.

6. Member
    If were going to buy a new prop.

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.c...r-48-8m0055550

More for the bite of a 4 blade than speed.

7. Member
    I just ran on Friday and got 45.7GPS @ 5500rpm with a full tank, loaded for fishing and two fisherman. I'm running my 19" X7 at hole #3. At 4800, 36.2, 5000, 40.1. I think a 21" is too much prop for that hull. If you're running 43, then I'd say 5200 is what you're turning. I don't side with the school that says if you're in the WOT range, mahvelous. The dozen or so engines that I've owned over the years are the longest lasting when they can turn the MAX WOT.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    If were going to buy a new prop.

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.c...r-48-8m0055550

More for the bite of a 4 blade than speed.
    Just paid 460.00 at Jacos in June. Delivered in 3 days. Runs at 43 mph.
    Last edited by jml; 08-04-2020 at 04:31 AM.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

9. Member
    There is a 19p Vengeance on the board for sale. Might give that a shot. What ya think?

10. Member
    I know nothing about the Vengeance, and maybe someone who’s run one will weigh in, but I doubt it would perform better than the Laser II, that’s the right prop for your boat. It’ll help you narrow down a size choice too if you check your rpm at wot first. For every inch you drop in pitch you’ll gain approx 200 rpm.
    2015 RT188 / Optimax ProXS 115

21p is too much for a laser II on your set up. I have a 20p that I had cupped a bit.

I run 52 all day in the spring/fall and 50-50.5 in the summer with me (230lbs), all my gear, and a full tank of gas according to my GPS. With another person (around 250lbs) we ran 48.5-49 two months ago.
    Porpoise tabs are cut off at the welds, no set back plate or jack plate (I want to add a 6 inch plate), missing about an inch of skeg.

12. Member
    I would buy a 20P Laser II. I talked to a lot of people and read a lot about the RT188 props. I would run it straight out of the box just like it comes from the factory.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

13. Member
    I went ahead and am getting that 19p Vengeance. The price was right and if it isn't any good I'll order a 20p Lazer II. Thanks for all the help.

14. Member
    Think a Tempest Plus is better than the Laser II prop.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    Just paid 460.00 at Jacos in June. Delivered in 3 days. Runs at 43 mph.

Thanks...now to decide if the better bite is worth 460.00 LOL

"Think a Tempest Plus is better than the Laser II prop."

The Tempist works on the CT lower units, different gearing. The 20" Laser II does fine on the standard lower unit. I've yet to see anyone really gain much speed with a jack plate or different props. I've read several threads saying the 19" X7 really helps with handling. I need to trim mine down when cornering running the LaserII.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Thanks...now to decide if the better bite is worth 460.00 LOL

"Think a Tempest Plus is better than the Laser II prop."

The Tempist works on the CT lower units, different gearing. The 20" Laser II does fine on the standard lower unit. I've yet to see anyone really gain much speed with a jack plate or different props. I've read several threads saying the 19" X7 really helps with handling. I need to trim mine down when cornering running the LaserII.
    My aluminum prop was shot, so upgraded to stainless. Have hit 46 , but no need to hammer down. Boat does handle better.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS