2012 200 e-tec H.O

Curious if anyone owns or has owned a 2012 e-tec H.O motor. Saw a boat I'm considering that had one on it but I've never owned one of these motors. Looking for general info/thoughts or things to look out for with them, before I make a decision. I think the seller said the motor has around 650 hrs on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

I have never owned one but I can give you several hours of things to check before you buy it or, I could just say, take it to the lake and off the trailer.
    Does it idle smooth, does it accelerate smooth, does it run wide open smooth?

If it will do all this smoothly then you have yourself a 2012 Etec with 650 hours on it.

If the guy wants to just run it on the garden hose at his house because he cant go to the lake or wont go to the lake, walk away slowly but walk away.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    Hi Elgin, thanks for the reply. Your points make sense to me. I had a Johnson before, and after a few different mechanics, one managed to tweak whatever needed tweaking and it did all of the above for the rest of the time until I sold it. That being said I guess the key is that it operates smoothly across all functions before buying.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    If the guy wants to just run it on the garden hose at his house because he cant go to the lake or wont go to the lake, walk away slowly but walk away.

guy was on here a week or two ago that bought a boat just demoed on a hose and might have gotten burned!!! is "demoed " a word????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    My last boat had a 2012 ETEC H.O. on the back, but it was only a 150hp. L2 gearcase gave me fits because of the exhaust heat generated. Once I got that all ironed out (with a lot of help from gearcaseman), it was flawless. Keep the fuel filters changed, index the plugs, and don't run anything but XD-100.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."