2010 z8 leaning hard right.

Hey guys I am new to the forum. Looking for some help. I just bought a 2010 nitro z8 with a 225 pro xs on it. The boat as a 8 inch jack plate with a atlas motor jack. Took it out yesterday and as I climbing on pad the boat is leaning hard to the right. As I trim up it levels out. But as I run all my prop wash is going out the left side. The boat is practically empty other then a ultrex on the left side front and the 3 battery’s in the back. Any body had this problem? Or any ideas of what may be going on. My thoughts are the motor isn’t square to the boat or the prop is off balance. I am running a 25 pitch fury. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Single console? Running solo can tip the boat of balance just like you're seeing. Once you start to load your gear and IF you primarily fish solo you will want to try and store you gear so you have a little more weight on the port side. You can also fill up the port side livewell to see if that helps balance things out. I doubt it's any issue with the motor being square to the boat.

Floor it to get on pad, that prop may be exaggerating your scenario but that is relatively normal.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    I was thinking that maybe I should try a 4 blade. The other thing that is throwing me off is my rooster tail shooting out the left side. I am going to take the prop off and take it to a shop and make sure it’s balanced correctly hoping it isn’t cause that would be a easy solution. Next time I run it I will fill the passenger live well up and see if that helps.

5. Member
    If your prop wash is going off to the side wouldn't that make your boat turn? Turning the steering wheel would be the solution. Or maybe I'm not understanding the problem? As for the leaning, my guess is it is a simple weight distribution problem. I would try filling the port livewell and see if that helps. If it does you can do a permanent fix by loading your gear with weight in mind and possibly re-arranging your batteries to move some weight over.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

6. Member
    I would think weight also but with two others in the boat sitting on the left side with little to no gear weight. The boat still is leaning right going straight just leaning hard. Once on pad trimmed up boat level my rooster tail is shooting hard to the left. When it should be going straight out the back.

4 blade may help. but you need to add some weight to the passenger side. Fill up the passenger side livewell,
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

The rooster tail is always off to the side on all boats! The propeller is turning and this throws the water off one side as the other side it's dry on its way into the water.

your boat seams fine, ever floor a hot rod in neutral? The car tilts and shakes, so a spinning propeller that is accelerating is trusting the drivers side down, but once up to speed the drivers weight is holding down that side, this is part of why the driver is on this side.

me a bravo xs 4 blade is the cats meow, if you have a good fury 25 you will need a 26 bravo. If you are getting 6000rpm in the summer at wide open.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    I am hoping that maybe I am over reacting to it a bit. Keep in mind I am coming from a 93 ranger 20footer that had a 2.1 200 mercury on it. Thing is basically a sled.I know the nitro is lighter and a faster hull with a lot more power on the back. I know there is gonna to be a pretty large learning curve as far how to drive this boat. Thanks for all the input.

Where are your batteries in the back. One thing I will do is move the batteries to the opposite side to help when by myself. With a single console boat i'd imagine this is more of an issue.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    I did move the battery’s over. I had 1 deep cycle the cranking battery and oil jug on the drivers side. Now both trolling battery’s are on the passenger side. I am having the whole motor and jack plate looked at on Friday to make sure it’s all square stand behind the boat in my shop it looks like the motor maybe leaning to the left just a touch. I know very little out of square would translate into a big difference in the front. I plan on having that looked at the prop looked at for balance then seeing how it does.

12. Member
    The lean or list that your experiencing is a characteristic of the Z8 hull, due to it's wide width and narrow pad. An unbalanced load will cause a slight to moderate list at speeds just above planning speed. The easiest way to offset this is with the live wells and the storage bins in the back. The way I have done this on the Z8's that I have had was by keeping one storage bin light and the other with weight in it. When fishing alone the heavy bin is moved to the left side and the left live well filled with water. With someone else in the boat the weight is reversed so therefore at times the bins would be changed around. Congratulations on your newer boat which is one of the faster Z8 models, 2009 and 2010 were some of the fastest of the Z8 models.You have a boat that you can run between 32 and 72 mph without changing the trim on the motor. Another thing, your Z8 is approximately 500lb. heavier than the 93 ranger you had ( just so you will know).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenson86 View Post
    I did move the battery’s over. I had 1 deep cycle the cranking battery and oil jug on the drivers side. Now both trolling battery’s are on the passenger side. I am having the whole motor and jack plate looked at on Friday to make sure it’s all square stand behind the boat in my shop it looks like the motor maybe leaning to the left just a touch. I know very little out of square would translate into a big difference in the front. I plan on having that looked at the prop looked at for balance then seeing how it does.
    I would move the starting battery to the center and 2 deep cycle's to passenger side as far as it can go. Also I never filled up my oil reservoir, usually maintained 1.5 gallons. Also the bin method mentioned by Jhenson86 is something I do also.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Thanks guys. I will Adjust the weight in the back. And keep tinkering with it to get it lined out I think it’s a weight issue and the live well trick I know will help get the gas weight more toward the passenger side.I am absolutely in love with this boat. I feel like I got a steal on it as the motor only has 115 hrs. The gel coat and inside carpet and all is in amazing shape.

15. Member
    This may not be the issue at all but you could always check and see if there is any play in the steering. If there is then tighten everything you can find on the hydraulic steering. Like I said, it is just a thought and I could be completely wrong and may not be an issue at all.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

16. Member
    The steering seems to be good. It was one of the very first things I checked. I was thrown out of my ranger back in 2018. Taking off for a night tournament running about 58 when that bolt that connects the steering to the motor fell out and the motor tourqed hard to the right. I was not wearing my kill switch and did not have a hotfoot. The boat circled me and the prop cut my left hand off. They were able to put it back together and it works remarkable well. I check the bolt everyone now and also will not move without kill switch.

17. Member
    The steering seems to be good. It was one of the very first things I checked. I was thrown out of my ranger back in 2018. Taking off for a night tournament running about 58 when that bolt that connects the steering to the motor fell out and the motor tourqed hard to the right. I was not wearing my kill switch and did not have a hotfoot. The boat circled me and the prop cut my left hand off. They were able to put it back together and it works remarkable well. I check the bolt everyone now and also will not move without kill switch.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Wow, I'll be checking mine more often.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team