Thread: Motor Covers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor Covers

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. Are there any negatives to them That I need to know?

Do you care if your motor gets scuffed up like towing with a cover on your boat?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    I would prefer it not get scuffed up, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the cover scuffs the motor?

4. Member
    I have the BPS cover. My boat sits outside under a metal carport. I don't tow with the cover on. Nice cover for the money.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

5. Member
    Tuffskins all day.

6. Member
    I have a tuffskins on my 2018 OptiMax. I keep the engine cowling waxed and have no scruffs.
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    I had a custom cover (boat and motor) made for my boat when i bought it in 2000. I've been trailering it covered for 20 years and no scuffs. If you buy a good one that has an inner liner you won't have to worry.

I looked long and hard at tuffskins for my motor...fish trees way too often that mar the motor...found a sweet deal on a practically new Merc factory cover.

I will say moving forward, all my rigs will have a motor cover.

PS: Make sure you get a running cover...not a storage cover. They are different. The running type cover has vents to allow for proper ventilation and airflow while under load.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

9. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Tuffskins all day.
    this, worth every penny. Last two boats cowling looked new. Ordered my new cover before my current boat was delivered
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

10. Member
    Thanks for the input

11. Member
    One from Russell Performance Marine on my SHO. Very happy with it. Vented so always stays on.

IMO....they work when your fishin however I would not tow with one on. I get boats in my shop all the time that tow with them and some get scuffed a lot and some not....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I am not a fan of using a motor cover for two reasons. Although minimal they hold in heat and can create condensation. Even if you have a vented cover its going to be hard to convince me that a motor with a cover running down the lake is as cool as a motor without a cover. Again it may be minimal but its my opinion. Second reason is you run back to the dock and load the boat to go home and you throw a cover on a warm motor, if the air temp outside is cool and you cover a warm motor you have a recipe for condensation. Now if you tow the boat down the road a few miles and let the motor cool off and pull over and add the cover I see no problem but that seems like an extra step that I don't want to make. Storing the boat outside at home with a motor cover on for sun protection I see no problem. I will admit I may be overthinking this but it just my opinion so I don't claim to be right or wrong its just an opinion. About the only time I use mine is if its going to be stored outside and that is rare for my particular situation.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Scuffed from the cover or tress/bushes.....

I have the RMP cover and keep it on 99% of the time....majority of the places I fish have trees/bushes...if I did not fish around any of that I probably wouldn't have one.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

A friend of mine who works at a Tarp shop made me a super heavy duty cover, and motor cover to match.
    I wouldnt tow with it, but its great for storage.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

16. Member
    had covers on five motors not one scuff. As for as heat not a issue. you have to keep cover on tight.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    One from Russell Performance Marine on my SHO. Very happy with it. Vented so always stays on.
    I have the RMP vented cover on my Merc Pro XS 4 stroke and have towed with cover on and no scuffs. I do tighten the adjustment strap/buckle though.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Do you care if your motor gets scuffed up like towing with a cover on your boat?
    Correction—- a cheap cover scuffs a boat. A GOOD custom cover DOES NOT———- at least it hasn’t ever scratched one of mine. Present cover is 18 years old. I have ran with my motor cover on, hasn’t scuffed the outboard either

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Correction—- a cheap cover scuffs a boat. A GOOD custom cover DOES NOT———- at least it hasn’t ever scratched one of mine. Present cover is 18 years old. I have ran with my motor cover on, hasn’t scuffed the outboard either
    All ive ever had were aurora so you must have a heckuva cover.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    All ive ever had were aurora so you must have a heckuva cover.
    I do

image album upload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast