2008 17 explorer cooler help

My 2008 17explorer doesnt have a cooler. It has a step with 3 screws holding it down. I opened it up and its just a rectangle hole that goes down to hull.

has anyone made that spot into a cooler? Maybe a drop-in bin of some sort and a hinge for the lid ?

2. Member
    I would say "where there's a will there's way". It's just trying to make the "way" look like it's supposed to be there and not something redneck engineered gone wrong. Do you know if Triton gave owners the option of adding a cooler on that model as an option? Sometimes boat manufactures put a plate over an opening and price the box that goes there as a extra option. If so that might make adding it a little easier.

3. Member
    2008 18 Explorer here. Same situation. I've been told that is literally the cooler since there's a drain hole at the bottom. Seems a little big to me though. Let me know if you find an insert that fits.

4. Member
    It looks like it shoulda been a step cooler. There isnt anything under it to access so not sure why they left it like that. Its just a deep opening with foam down in there. I am gonna hunt for some type of drop in and add a piano hinge.

Any ideas as where to start searching for a drop in ?

5. Member
    Yep I was wondering the same thing. I figured there was an insert that the previous owner took out.

I was thinking something like this in an effort to make it a cooler. But I don't think this one will fit. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/tempr...RoCx0EQAvD_BwE