what lower unit do i have

so i am fighting a hole shot / planing issue on my 09 z7, trying to see if i can get a Chris bailey foil to help. but i don't know what lower unit is on there. any help please.

08 150L EFI S/N 1B721228

2. Member
    You might want to ask this question to Don Weed in the Mercury forums...he may be able to get you a quick answer.

If I had to speculate, I would say you probably have the Verado style case. I don't think they use torquemaster low units on the 150s?

3. Member
    Thanks for the information

There has never been an option for the 150. Just not sure what they called that LU.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    What prop and pitch are you running? Do you have Power Poles or Talons? Have you tried to pull the PVS plugs to see if that helps?
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zprice7 View Post
    What prop and pitch are you running? Do you have Power Poles or Talons? Have you tried to pull the PVS plugs to see if that helps?
    i am running a tempest 23p, i have power poles. the PVS are all large

7. Member
    thanks to CBailey for the quick shipment of the hydro plate, installed last night ready to give a try. hopefully this helps with my planning issue

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbthing View Post
    thanks to CBailey for the quick shipment of the hydro plate, installed last night ready to give a try. hopefully this helps with my planning issue
    Awesome...hopefully that helps!! Those are some really nice looking foils.

Quote Originally Posted by zprice7 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbthing View Post
    i am running a tempest 23p, i have power poles. the PVS are all large
    zprice7 gave the correct advice...

Removing PVS plugs allows the prop to vent more exhaust but only on hole-shot. Once the prop achieves bite and the bow is broke over all exhaust is flowing out the barrel. The initial punch to get on plane pushes exhaust out the PVS holes and this creates air bubbles that allow the prop to build rpm's faster. Too much ventilation and the prop will lose bite and blow out/slip/not bite on hole-shot...remember PVS plays zero part once on plane. If yours is slow to build rpms and you have large vent plugs remove them one at a time and see if it builds rpms quicker on hole-shot. If it blows out simply re-install a large plug.

As for a foil, some call them a band aide but I call them a tool that helps you get on plane. No two boats are the same so set-up will vary. My best hole-shot is two holes wide open and one large plug in the other hole and I also have a foil.

Last edited by JR19; 08-11-2020 at 02:22 PM.