Livewell pump question

1998 Skeeter ZX202c installed two new 800gph pumps for live wells [2]. Neither pumps water very fast. I'm talking very slow and after it trickles water in pump it will sometimes begin to pump faster. Not always. When it pumps faster it seems the hoses are not clogged. When live wells are 1/2 full or more the recirc pumps work fine. On auto or automatic. I sometimes have to dip water from lake to get live wells to a level siuitable to keep fish.

Stumped--ideas welcomed

2. Member
    Make sure there is not a high spot in the hose that might cause an air lock,should be a straight run from transom intake to pump. Make sure the pumps are wired correctly,they will run backwards if the wires are reversed. Check to make sure the flapper valve is working correctly,if you have one.

Next time you notice this, put the boat in reverse while the pumps are on and see what happens. Should answer some questions.

These graphics may be helpful in determining if there is an airlock in your plumbing.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. mikesxpress

6. Member
    Thanks for the info---much appreciated. Went to lake yesterday and turned pumps on while in reverse. Seemed to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Thanks for the info---much appreciated. Went to lake yesterday and turned pumps on while in reverse. Seemed to help.
    Backing up forces the air out so the pumps can prime. All this means is that you need to check, as others have said, the routing of your hoses and possibly your pumps to make sure they are flooded when sitting still in the water.

Thanks some top shelf info right there. Got the cob webs shaken off my brain.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

9. Banned
    The first thing I would do is check the voltage at the pumps with a multi meter.. Very common on older boats to get voltage drops threw dash/switch wiring from corrosion on wire connections,fuse panel ect. A small voltage drop and not getting (12 + volts) to the pumps can make a huge difference in the performance/output of the pumps.