Map spins at low speed

I am trying to help a friend mark and go to waypoints on a 1226 sv ... when closing in on a marked waypoint the map may spin saying it's in a different direction... I use lowrance with a point 1 antenna and don't have this problem ..does garmin have the same type of heading sensor for there units that updates quicker where the map won't spin ?

2. Member
    The Point 1 is a GPS + heading sensor (electronic compass). To get the performance of a heading sensor you need a heading sensor. You would need to install a NMEA2000 network and something like a Point 1 or a Garmin Steadycast to have a heading sensor with the 126SV. All NMEA2000 heading sensors are compatible with any NMEA2000 capable unit (like the 126SV).

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljones View Post
    I am trying to help a friend mark and go to waypoints on a 1226 sv ... when closing in on a marked waypoint the map may spin saying it's in a different direction... I use lowrance with a point 1 antenna and don't have this problem ..does garmin have the same type of heading sensor for there units that updates quicker where the map won't spin ?
    I just installed the nmea2000 and the steadycast in my boat for this very reason!!
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljones View Post
    I am trying to help a friend mark and go to waypoints on a 1226 sv ... when closing in on a marked waypoint the map may spin saying it's in a different direction... I use lowrance with a point 1 antenna and don't have this problem..
    Simply tell him to do the same as you have, get a "NMEA2000 starter kit" (if he does not have NMEA2000 already) and a Point-1. P1 is better then Garmins own Steady Cast, at more or less the same cost, and works very well with Garmin.

5. Member
    I recently switched from Lowrance Gen 2 units to Garmin. I’m still using my Point1 with the Garmin and I’m happy with it. It even shows up in the device list as Point1.