Motor won't get on Plane

2000 Evirnrude Ficht 225 HP on 22 ft stratos. I bought this boat knowing there was an issue with the motor. It has a 27 pitch prop (which I have been told is way to much for this motor). I am buying a new prop tomorrow. So far compression has been checked (everything checked out good), plugs have been changed, spark has been checked. When I took this first video I could not get the boat on plane at all. Since changing plugs the boat will get on plane but it takes a while. The max RPM was around 4,500 and max speed was 50-55. I am thinking now the issue is the prop but I honestly don't know. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    May be more than a prop issue Motor doesn't sound right. The guys that know these motors will be along shortly.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Why were you trimming up when trying to get on plane? Motor needs to be all the way down.
    A prop that is too high in pitch (too big) places too much load on the engine. It’s like trying to take off in your car in third gear instead of first gear. It will eventually get there.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Possible bad TPS?

I'm with CM, you should have stored codes for the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) or that engine never got the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) support bracket, it came with one bracket and they added another to stop it from bouncing when trying to accelerate, it would do what your engine is doing, the added one looks like this. If your CPS does not have two brackets this may be what you need, besides a smaller prop.

20200802_183904.jpg
    Last edited by ELGIN; 08-02-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    It sounds like it's trying to run on five when you step into it.....next time on the water pull the cowl and air box and watch for all throttle bodies to open....they may open when not running but if you have issues one won't when trying to run.....especially the bottom two throttle bodies....

Here is a better picture of what you should have, if you only have the one bracket like the pic in my earlier post the second support bracket (#108 in the pic) is available from Evinrude.

Part number 350936 is $25.25 and there are several in the beloit warehouse.

20200802_222008.jpg

Renegade bass props have a small diameter barrel. Some boats that run a Renegade Bass prop require a cavitation ring to get on plane. Some don't require a cavitation ring. It's really trial and error to see if you need a cavitation ring. There is a ton of variables that will determine if you need a cavitation ring (load, weight of rig verses HP, motor height, setback) it all depends on how much bite they have on hole-shot. Looking at picture number two you do not have a cavitation ring so you are letting a lot of air bubble escape onto the surface of the blade thus causing the prop not to bite and take off. Notice the gap between your prop and gear-case. The renegade is a small barrel so you may need to fill that gap with a cavitation ring....now with that being said it has zero effect on top end performance and I have no idea why your wide open rpm is 4500. The gurus will know your exact max suggested rpm. Post a model number so they know exactly what motor their dealing with. 2000 Evinrude 225 is not enough information is some situations so a model number will help. It might be just a prop issue or it might be just a motor issue or it could be a combination of both. There is people on here with a TON more knowledge than me. I just noticed your prop did not have a ring.

You can get a cavitation ring for just a few dollars. I would try one and see if that helps hole-shot...it will have ZERO effect on top end performance.

look at number 15 in the link provided...I know the link is not your engine model number (which when posting engine questions its helpful to post engine model number) but prop hardware is the same for your motor as to the one I have posted.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinru...ardware-all-v6

You need another prop. See if you can borrow a 22-24p and see what happens. You cant troubleshoot a motor with a prop thats that big on that boat. If you needed a blowout ring it would be venting too much and overrevving slipping the prop in air bubbles. You need more venting if anything.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    IS that bracket only for 2000 225 or also for 1999 200s

For all Ficht 90 degree engines up to when it was included as a standard part in production.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    Here is a better picture of what you should have, if you only have the one bracket like the pic in my earlier post the second support bracket (#108 in the pic) is available from Evinrude.

Part number 350936 is $25.25 and there are several in the beloit warehouse.

20200802_222008.jpg
    Hey there, opening this thread up again as I am having the same issue as OP. Having a hard time locating the TPS and CPS (with bracket) in my parts diagrams/actual motor. Not sure if anyone could help with that. Also my motor is a '99 E225FPLEES, not sure if that makes any differences. Appreciate any answers.

13. Member
    2001+ for Bombardier models only. Bulletin 2002-05(W).