Fuel tank check valve

I was changing my fuel lines cus I found gas leak and air intrusion when I noticed my 90 degree check valve on my pick up had a faulty check valve. I can blow air into gas tank. That valve is impossible to take off. Can I just install an inline check valve on the fuel line between the tank and the selector switch or do I even need it? Will that restrict fuel getting to the motor if I do so?

2. Member
    That check ball can hang in the closed position and cause you to run out of gas. You can remove it by removing the barb adapter and driving out the ball with a punch. If you primer bulb is working you done need it.

3. Member
    Yea, when I took it out it was actually 3/4 clogged and was barely letting gas out of the tank. So I don't need it if my primer bulb is holding pressure? I may try that and see. Already changing all of my fuel Lines. Thanks

4. Member
    You can remove the ball check in the 90 degree fitting and the ball check in the squeeze bulb will do the job. Reengined my last boat and while doing a check run, the check engine light kept coming on. Called my dealer from the water and he said it was the check valve probably restricting flow. When I got home, removed the check valves from from both gas tanks and problem was solved.

Its called an anti-siphon valve if youd like to get another one. If not unscrew it from the tank pickup and beat it out with a punch. Theres a ring the ball sits against that holds it all in there. Should be a ball, spring, and thin ring to remove

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Member
    I banged out the ball and spring and gonna try that. Also, I was told I can completely remove my primer bulb and hook my fuel line straight to the motor. I would think my fuel lines would drain back down and cause my fuel pump to run dry shortening it's life.

Your primer bulb was originally designed to keep fuel at the suction of a mechanical fuel pump so it would start pumping fuel. The only thing it does in a fuel injected motor is fill the vst so the electric pump can pick it up. Its there as a way to prime that system for initial start and to keep fuel at the suction of the mechanical fuel pump that fills your vst tank if so equipped. Id put one in there and replace it every year if it were mine.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Such a simole item can cause a lot of grief in a hurray.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.