TJNYSNP

Boat doesn't ride just right...

I had a 2003 225HO Evinrude Ficht on my 10" Bobs Jackplate on my 20' champion.... it blew and i replaced it with a 2017 225H Gen1 Etech.

The boat just doesn't ride as perfect as it used to at full throttle.

My boat not feels like it is porpoising more than it used to.

What would make a boat porpoise ? Is it likely my engine maybe the lower unit is a bit longer or shorter where it sits ? I believe the mount was done on the same exact drop on the jackplate as they didn't adjust it

2. Member
    bobs fixed or hydraulic plate?
    what is ptp measurement?
    what was old motor ptp number?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Tell us about the lower unit. Is it the lightning or the magnum lower unit? Got a picture?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Tell us about the lower unit. Is it the lightning or the magnum lower unit? Got a picture?
    I think the hare is chasing tha dawgs !!!

The M2 gear case is longer from the mating surface to the prop center line than the lightning gear case you were running not to mention the circumference size difference of the bullet.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

Bring it on up and watch water pressure

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. TJNYSNP
    Thanks everyone for offers to help! Some info asked for:

My prior 2002 Ficht was a E225FHLSNF, gearcase assembly 5004913
    My 2017 Gen1 is a E225HGLABH, an "AB" Model in Evinrude parts catalog, gearcase looks to be "M2 Type" according to the parts catalog
    My jackplate is a fixed type from Bob's, not able to go up and down without adjusting some nuts it appears inside the cavity of the jackplate, which i have never done and i'm pretty sure when they installed the new engine nor did they

Oh... the water pressure runs MUCH higher than my old engine. The older ficht used to run around 20lbs water pressure on WOT even after i would have the impeller replaced... but this engine seems to run right around 27lb water pressure which i've never seen on my old engine

I'm running a 4 blade OMC Renegade 13.5 x 25 prop

As said earlier, the porpoising is not terrible but what happens is that if three is any boat wakes even small i go over.. the boat seems to go through a porpoising until i can reset it back to not be porpoising... never had this behavior in past
    Last edited by mohawkman; 08-03-2020 at 08:47 AM.

8. Member
    You went from a lighting lower unit to an M2. Notice Elgin’s post. Two totally Different installation setups due to lower unit shape and dimensions, so now you need to make setup changes. I am not as fluent with Champion boats as others here. Let’s see what they recommend. I bet the engine needs to go up.
    Last edited by bighare; 08-03-2020 at 10:11 AM.

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What's your prop to pad currently and what kind of rooster tail you throwing at full trim and WOT? And what model Champ are you running 201,202,203,204 or 206?