Flash with Warranty remaining

Ok, so I have a 2017 sho 250 with about 1.5 years left of warranty and 190 hours with zero issues. I am interested in doing a flash with hydrotec. I asked them about how it affects warranty and also my mechanic but both didn’t really say yes or no if it would be voided. I have read a lot of threads and it’s mixed on the answer so I am wondering for the people who actually had the flash done, did you get denied warranty work because of it? Is anyone out there had an issue or know of someone that did get denied?

2. Member
    why not call yamaha customer service an ask them they would be the ones that would know.

3. Member
    [QUOTE=ssmithboats;11298617]why not call yamaha customer service an ask them they would be the ones that would know.[/QUOTE

My question was not for Yamaha customer service and was for people that have already flashed the motors, thank you for your help

4. Member
    I flashed mine, it's still under warranty, no regrets. Hope I don't need to use the warranty but if I do the flash has to cause the failure to deny warranty claim.

5. Member
    I know a guy who flashed his SHO. He had it serviced every year For ALL of the routine maintenance items, ex..oil change, spark plugs, lower unit oil, impeller, diagnostics, etc. while it was under warranty (6 years total 3 original and 3 with the Y.E.S. Extended). The Yamaha service rep NEVER mentioned anything about it showing a red flag or that it was even tampered with. Once the warranty was out, he asked the guy if he even knew it had been flashed and he said “No”!! When he had the flash done it was to a 300hp BUT did not raise the Rev Limit allowances.....hopefully that makes sense and helps.
    2017 Legend V20

6. Member
    If your under warranty and raise the HP do not raise the rpm limits. Get a higher pitch prop to keep it at factory rpm specs . Running it higher than normal spec all of sudden will raise questions if you have problems.

7. Member
    Correct!!!! As skennedy said!
    2017 Legend V20

So not a soul noticed the flashed rig had a big prop pitch jump? Hard to believe...but possible.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

9. Member
    In most cases it only takes one pitch higher prop to keep the motor in rpm specs . If it’s a 250 hp eng they are running 25 26 and 27 pitch props for the most part . If your running any one of those 3 and it stays in rpm spec It won’t be questioned. Running a prop higher than a 27 it Might be ? If it’s a regular heavy bass boat . If it’s a go fast light weight bass boat it will never be ?

10. Member
    I asked this very same question last week and was told that if you reflash the ecm , and don't change rpm limiter, the dealership will still know. This was the response that a 20 year Yamaha tech and service manager told me in person at a skeeter dealer.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSkeeter View Post
    I asked this very same question last week and was told that if you reflash the ecm , and don't change rpm limiter, the dealership will still know. This was the response that a 20 year Yamaha tech and service manager told me in person at a skeeter dealer.

i was told the same thing that is why I wondering if people that did flash the motor had any issues when it came time for a warranty claim. My mechanic also told me if that ecm is flashed for the beginning they will not know. He said where they see the change is in the fuel rates and such

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmy5 View Post
    i was told the same thing that is why I wondering if people that did flash the motor had any issues when it came time for a warranty claim. My mechanic also told me if that ecm is flashed for the beginning they will not know. He said where they see the change is in the fuel rates and such
    That's exactly what I was told as well, which is why I'm waiting for my warranty to expire.

13. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Hydro-tec has flashed 1000s of ecus nd done it for years I have yet to hear a warranty denial due to flash...

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSkeeter View Post
    That's exactly what I was told as well, which is why I'm waiting for my warranty to expire.
    someone I know flashed his the week after he took delivery and while he was breaking in the motor, found out it had a crack in block. They warranty it. A week later the harness caught on fire due to bad ground. Guess they didn’t hook it up correctly. That was warranty too.

15. Member
    How does flashing affect the longevity of the motor? Anybody experienced failures due to flashing the motor? Thanks

16. Member
    I plan on flashing mine in November

17. Member
    I talked to Ben at hydro tech this morning and he said as long as you don’t go over 6200 rpms no one will know.

18. ourflat
    I have not had my ECU flashed but as a programmer I can offer this information to you to clarify your questions. When I or someone else reflash a ECU we are changing the size of the binary file stored in the ROM storage area in the ECU’s microprocessor. This change can be detected by the manufacture’s diagnostic software ( alters binary code checksum ) platform and/ can form a basis for the manufacture to disapprove a warranty claim notwithstanding the burden of proof that the reprogramming cause a warranty claim issue. I have seen both sides of this coin and have even been an expert witness in legal litigation. Bottom line: it’s a costly legal fight that the manufacture usually wins because you have alternate/ or defeated their intended performance characteristics.

Frank