Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Praying 2016 Tracker 195txw, Merc 150 4 stroke ser. 2B212092

Intermittent helm fuse is blowing. Happened in May and a local mechanic said it was the ground wire coming off ignition was corroded, he said he cleaned it up and it worked fine. Got my boat out 1 weeks ago and it did it again. I used it for approx 6 hours run time with no issues. I took it to a tracker dealer who disconnected the smart craft cable from the motor under the cowling and said to run it to isolate whether its the cable or something else. My boat has a nmea 2000 network. Unfortunately I have a hard time trusting these dealers. Specially at 100.00 per hour. I contacted the previous owner who said Don may be able to help. He said he bought the monitor and cable from Don and don told him exactly how to install it. Eric bought this boat new in 2016 and I bought it from him in 2017 and haven't had any issues. The fuse blows when you go to start. I wish I could talk to someone on the phone because I am writing a book here. I will try and answer questions anyone has. But I am no mechanic. I am more like a blind surgeon who you will be telling how to operate. Thanks

2. Member
    You are in the right place for sure. It's a busy time for Don, but he'll address your concerns as soon as he can.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Thank you, my number is 570 401 9330...also I wouldn't be opposed to bringing my boat to him if I had to...thanks again...

4. Member
    As I remember, when I turn my ignition switch to on all my gauges come on and the merc monitor would go through its checks and say system check complete. At this point the monitor is talking to the motor correct?? It's when I go to start that blows that helm fuse. Could it be a bad ignition switch?? The mech in Tennessee said all he cleaned up was the looped wire on the back of the switch,, it looks like it plugs into itself. Where can I start looking to fix this, keeping in mind my lack if expertise in this area. Thanks.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to start at the switch- since the problem occurs when you go to start the engine.

One other question- are you holding the switch in the START position, or are you simply turning it to start and RELEASING?

Also- where is your "helm fuse" located? Have a picture?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you for responding...it will blow as soon as you go to start, I normally just go to start and release,, sometimes it will crank for one or two seconds then blow...the 15 amp helm fuse is under the cowling...The very first time this happened i was going to move locations,, i started the motor and let idle for 30 or so seconds, put it in forward and went to give it throttle and it blew..trolling motor to dock and got local mechanic who i watched blow like 4 fuses after checking connections and then said he was going to take it to a friend who worked at a dealership and had access to a diagnostics machine.. the next day he said he didn't take it to a friend but instead found that looped wire on the ignition wires had some corrosion on it and he cleaned it up and it worked fine.. I ran the boat 5 or 6 hours then was making a run and hit some pretty good waves and it just shut down and that fuse was blown again. I came home replaced the fuse and che ked that ignition wire which looked perfect and started the motor in my driveway no problem, went to the lake backed boat in went to start and it popped as soon as i went to start. I then took it to the tracker dealership...I have a picture, let me try and figure out how to send it....
    Last edited by Supermann133; 08-09-2020 at 12:31 AM.

7. Member

Here is the picture

8. Member
    You can see the dealer unplugged my smart craft cable and told me to take it out and bounce it around some waves to see if i could get the fuse to blow, i took it out and could not get it to blow with the smartcraft cable disconnected...i wanted to plug that cable back in and see if the fuse would blow but unfortunately I can't seem to figure how to do that...I appreciate anything you can tell me...thanks

9. Member

10. Member

11. Member

12. Member

13. Member
    You have to remove the dummy resistor plug, before you can connect the cable.

14. Member
    And that just pulls off correct...thanks

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have to push the "release" button on the Dust Cap (dummy plug). It's just like the end of the blue cable.

Was the blue cable de-pinned at either end while installing it?

So to further clarify: You have NOT had fuse-blowing problems, and the engine WILL start while the BLUE CABLE is disconnected? If this statement is NOT true, STOP WHERE YOU ARE AT, and do not reconnect the blue cable. There may be a problem in the keyswitch or it's harness.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Your statement is true, with that blue cable disconnected it does not blow the fuse and starts right up but of course I don't have my Merc monitor. I am going to take it to another boat repair place either tomorrow or Wednesday. I want my merc monitor working and this problem fixed, but I am way out of my element.. If this place can't fix it or screws something else up I am going to take the boat to Alabama where they basically built it. I am going to try and plug that cable back in, double check for any loose wires and see if i blow the fuse. Don, any other advice would be great...I don't know about the cable being pinned or not sorry.

17. Member
    I dropped boat off today, hopefully they can find the problem...I will update the findings when known, thanks everyone for trying to help me...

18. Member
    Picked up boat yesterday, Mechanic said the Alternator was shot...said it wasn't charging the battery at all and that the alternater could be the problem since he couldn't find anything else wrong. Said the alternater was running around 270 degrees and should only be around 140 or so...he also said this is connected to the switch and the helm fuse. Well back to the lake I will go with hopes this was the problem.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back after you've had a chance to run it.

20. Member
    I will, thanks Don...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast