Lake to retire on

Daughter lives in Tampa, mom wants to be closer to her. Would like to live on A nice size lake within say hour or hour and half of Tampa that has good bass possibilities any suggestions. Going to see her this week would like to look around some. Thanks guys!

2. Banned

3. Member
    Tarpon is a nice lake, good fish...but it's not an easy lake to learn. I lived on the lake for 4 years until just a couple years ago. Property is not cheap on the lake though, as it's the only real lake of any size in Pinellas County. From there, you're about an hour from most of Tampa, and about 50 minutes to Tampa airport. Bout an hour from St Pete with the traffic on US 19. Tarpon Springs is a neat town, Greek sponge docks and good food. You'd be just a few minutes to pretty good saltwater fishing also. I also know a lady in Tarpon Springs who is the best realtor I've ever met. Really works hard for you!
    Let me know if I can help or answer any questions...

Bob
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

4. Banned
    Take a ticket and wait in line for the highest bidder. Your (out of towners) like sands in an hour glass .. too many to count. Your statement explains why locals cant afford lake front property, out of towners have bought it all up and jacked the price through the roof!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Take a ticket and wait in line for the highest bidder. Your (out of towners) like sands in an hour glass .. too many to count. Your statement explains why locals cant afford lake front property, out of towners have bought it all up and jacked the price through the roof!
    Sums it up pretty well....LOL

6. Banned
    I'd look around Lake Rousseau as they are running the Veterans Expressway up 19.. This also puts You right around Crystal River for Scallops/Snook/Manatees It'll also be less stressful on the billfold..

https://www.zillow.com/dunnellon-fl/lake-rousseau_att/

7. Member
    Man...I thought he was safe since he wasn't a yank.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Man...I thought he was safe since he wasn't a yank.
    Mauler doesn't like anybody who may come down and catch his personal fish. He's been feeding them his whole life and now somebody is going to come down and take them awake.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
    Mauler doesn't like anybody who may come down and catch his personal fish. He's been feeding them his whole life and now somebody is going to come down and take them awake.
    Yeah he can be a "little rough" at times. Oh who am I kidding he's that way all the time.

But what he said about folks coming down and buying up the Prime Lots is right. Heck in just about 3 years where I built (yes I moved here for work in 2000) an Empty Lot was going for $5-10,000 when I got here to $75-90,000 Plus for the same size lot.

Just take a look at any place close to any of the known Lakes for Bass Fishing, you better either come down with a Wad of Cash to start with or buy an older home to remodel.

Honestly I would try and find a Lot or Place on a Nice Sized Private Lake to locate to. There at least you can get some control over who fishes there and you can Trailer to any other you want to fish.

Good Luck to the OP, if your willing to take some time and look around you could find a deal.

Best Advise I can give you is this: Do NOT TRY to make HERE like THERE-- Wherever There is you came from. Way to many trying to do that now. Moved here to escape There then turn around and try to make Here into the Crap Shoot Piss Hole they moved from.

Learn the Local Customs and Enjoy the New Scene and try to blend in. You'd be surprised at how much more welcome you find yourself to be and may even make a Friend ot Two that will show you the way around.

I left NW Pa back in August of 2000. Best thing for My Family I ever did. Absorbed the Culture of where I moved to and became One with Florida and Floridians. We love it here.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
    He’s right abt how bad it’s gotten...and right abt all the land being turned into dwellings. He’s also my old tx partner and a damn good fisherman...as long as there’s grass and it ain’t over 6ft deep.

11. Member
    Thanks for the advice. Not looking to change anything and not sure we are going to relocate just want to see what’s out there. Lord knows what happens to our fisheries. They sprayed all the grass at Toledo bend where I presently have a camp and we went from the number 1 lake two years in a row to just another lake. I didn’t like all the publicity the lake got cause the increase in tournaments and the number of guests coming from all over. I feel the pain too! Thanks again it gives me a starting point.

look around Auburndale, Lakeland and Inverness.

13. Member
    Harris Chain
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    I'd look around Lake Rousseau as they are running the Veterans Expressway up 19.. This also puts You right around Crystal River for Scallops/Snook/Manatees It'll also be less stressful on the billfold..

https://www.zillow.com/dunnellon-fl/lake-rousseau_att/
    Have you eat'in your share of Manatee today??

15. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Have you eat'in your share of Manatee today??
    I've heard the father west you go, the better they taste? Over here, our eastern Manatee are a little gamey, but still delicious with the right prep.

16. Member
    I love the Tampa area for saltwater fishing. You might consider making the change from chasing bass to chasing redfish? Wife and I considered moving to Florida when we retired, but wife does not like the heat.....

17. Banned
    I go by this beauty on the way to the Dog Park. For those who've fished Lakes Henderson, this is on the smaller lake that sits next to Little Lake Henderson, if Your boat fits under the trestle. I about shite my trou when I looked at the price they're now asking. I saw them working on it and appreciate what they've done but currently hallucinogenics are currently outlawed so leaves me out. They paid $140k in Nov. Year of the Bug. Beautiful abode, don't get me wrong and that Lake is LOADED but...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...43611979_zpid/

a couple others in Inverness

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...43632402_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...82403305_zpid/

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    I love the Tampa area for saltwater fishing. You might consider making the change from chasing bass to chasing redfish? Wife and I considered moving to Florida when we retired, but wife does not like the heat.....
    Heat and Humidity!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Harris Chain
    Fishing is bad. Don't move there.
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran