Merc 90 has no top end

Og 284332 serial number.
    I'll give extra info at end in case it helps. Currently motor will only reach 25-3700 rpms. Seems to run smooth up to that point, launches fine. It did start cutting out at the end of the day like it was low on fuel. That was after 3 hours of playing around. Last month it would run 4200 rpms and occasionally have a burst to 5000. I had a local guy look at it and it has 120 lbs to all cylinders and good spark, at least when he tested it. He thought it could be the cdi/brain box (not sure what he called it) or the carbs needing redone. He rebuilt the carbs, said there w as a fuel leak (which I never seen signs of) and 1 carb was out of sync. It would go way past center, which I figured was why it ran fine at 3/4 throttle but bogged at full. Took it out yesterday and it wont even hit the pathetic old speeds.
    I removed air box and carbs look synched. He said throttle cable is stretched. It idles fine, and when handle put all the wat forward it will nearly max the carbs (95+% wide open).
    New fuel line and filter, line in tank not obstructed. Voltage regulator fried last year and took out the guages. New regulator (aftermarket) and guages. Carbs and fuel pump rebuilt (supposedly lol). New plugs. Oil level is full and using oil. Sometimes it has a constant beeping that will only go away when slowed down.

2. Member
    sound like its overheating,find another tech/good one to check fuel system throughly as well as all other systems
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................