20 Pro xs rough idle

I have a 20 175 Pro xs I just bought. Only has 7 hours on it. During break In I had a non critical alarm. Found out I had some water in my fuel. Dealer flushed fuel out of motor. I pumped my tanks empty and found 0 water. Put gas back in and took her out. Now it has a bad rough idle and actually is dying on me. In neutral, idle is fine but as soon as I put her clutch ahead it has a rough idle for about 3 seconds and then smooth idle for around 3 seconds. It seems like its starving for fuel possibly. Maybe fouled spark plugs? Any thought?

2. Banned
    Fuel filter

3. Member
    I found fuel lines leaking allowing air in system also found tank check valves were blocked as well. Can I replace fuel lines with b-1 lines or do I need to get A15 or B15 lines? Also, do need this check valve on the tanks?

With 7 hours on the motor I would have just taken it straight back to the dealer.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Yea, I've had hell with my jackass dealer. I caught him overcharging me for all my kinds of stuff. Had to threaten him with a lawyer to get my money back. Because my boat and not the motor is having issues, I would have to pay a dealer labor to do all the stuff I'm doing now. If i still have rough idle after I fix my fuel issue, I will bring it elsewhere. The dealer should have caught fuel problems when they installed my motor, but found nothing. Upon setup, I'm not even sure they even ran the damn thing.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Here's a good way to cleanly determine where to look:

Connect a PORTABLE fuel tank with it's own separate fuel line (no bulb needed) DIRECTLY to the engine. Go run the engine and see if the problem ceases.

Problem ceases- it's in the boat fuel supply system.

Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor