Question Lead Acid crank battery Recommendations 250ss

Hello friends. Many of you remember my marathon thread regarding Suzuki issues. At the very end of that nightmare, they said to use only a lead acid crank battery. It was one of many things I was dealing with before they made it right. That 2 year old size 27 battery they put in is toast. No surprise there.
    I'm sure most of you use AGMs like most others do (including the national Suzuki rep I bought the boat from). But I'm doing as told by Suzuki like I always did from the beginning.

Anyone out there have a good lead acid recommendation for the 250ss? The size 27 started the engine and ran accessories before it quite this summer. Luckily nothing happened on the water. Should I automatically get a bigger size 31? The boat was purchased with a size 31AGM originally.

Thanks

2. Member
    Kevin, I honestly would get a good group 31 AGM and not worry about it. I've been running an Ionic 125aH lithium battery for a year now and had zero starting or graph issues. Another option would be to get a new lead acid battery for cranking only from Interstate or Duracell and another Group 27 AGM that would run your pumps, graphs and everything else. But that options adds more weight and you shouldn't need another charger since your boat will charge only that battery it uses for cranking, similar as a car.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I’m running a group 31 AGM and haven’t had any problems

4. Member
    Off topic but how's your new engine? Really thinking of one and now as the earlier post they are coming out with a change. Have you heard anything? Listening between the lines sounds to me like maybe a hotter engine.

5. Member
    New 2020 Suzuki 200 HP. Using Sam's Duracell AGM 31 for years, and same battery with my new motor.

6. Member
    Size 31 agm. I like optima. D31 Get them thru auto places with online discounts. Great battery for today's power hungry outboard and sonars.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    New 2020 Suzuki 200 HP. Using Sam's Duracell AGM 31 for years, and same battery with my new motor.
    Bill, is yours the one with the updated gear ratio? What speeds are you getting?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    Off topic but how's your new engine? Really thinking of one and now as the earlier post they are coming out with a change. Have you heard anything? Listening between the lines sounds to me like maybe a hotter engine.
    My apologies for the late response. I missed your question. I'm perfectly happy with my 2019. By that I mean I can go fishing and it hasn't given my any problems. it appears to be working as advertised. Thanks for checking in.

NAPA Commercial battery PN 7234 or 7235 depending on which posts you want. BEST lead-acid out there and out performs most AGMs. It is a grp 31.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Please. Dude, We are talking about a STARTING battery! Mine has been kicking butt for over a year as a starter and run my pumps and graphs without a hiccup. I just had a tournament last Saturday where it poured all day. I had my recirc pump, aerator pump, bilge pump and two Helix units on for the entire day and my big motor cranked strong every time. One time late in the day, I was even trimming down with the motor as I started it. Not even a glitch and Hummibirds are know to be very voltage sensitive. This battery is not for a trolling motor so stop posting this every time it comes up about a CRANKING BATTERY. Guys on here having been recommending AND using this battery for a couple of years and I have yet to see a complaint.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

Been running a lead acid battery since I bout my SS and have not had an issue with it. I know a few guys running lithium for their house/starter batteries with their 250SS and they have had zero issues. So if the motor is rigged properly and squared away like they should be the battery type should not matter as much. Currently in my neck of the woods Suzuki is coming on strong and there are quite a few on the water now.

sharpie, I am not sure why you have a woody for these commercial batteries. They work! The lack of cycles you have pointed out in other threads is based on an 80% DOD. The big motor may crank but my Helix units would shutdown. It is also being charged by the motor running to various spots.

The battery is not expensive either. I paid around $150 for mine. I did not see a reason to spend my $ on an expensive AGM. I may be wrong but there are too many guys using it for much longer periods than me without issue. If you have experience with this battery, I’d love to hear it. Your ambiguous email to East Penn and their answer still does not sway me from recommending this battery.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal