Electronics for shallow Florida fishing.

I want to upgrade the electronics on my 87 Ranger and I am considering Garmin. I mainly fish the Winter Haven chain.
    i would say that most of my fishing is vegetation in 2 to 6 feet of water. Is anyone using the panoptics or live scope while fishing the 2 to 6 feet depths? I like the technology but I would hate to spend the money if it is not compatible to shallow grass or deeper hydrilla.

Yes, I use my livescope all over Florida...Winter Haven chain included. They now offer the perspective mode for use in shallow water...which to me is beneficial in 4' or less...anything deeper than that and I prefer the forward looking mode.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Having fished with both I prefer Mega 360. You don't have to point the trolling motor at what you want to see. I fished with it on my last trip to the Harris chain and it absolutely helped me catch fish. I was able to see an approaching clump of hydrilla and cast to it before I ran over it

I think the Humminbird Mega 360 would be great, but, waiting all day to get the Humminbirds on and keeping them working is another story!!--Go with Garmin!!

5. Member
    Can you expand on that statement? What do you mean by waiting and keeping them working? I have never used one but the Mega 360 has my interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    I think the Humminbird Mega 360 would be great, but, waiting all day to get the Humminbirds on and keeping them working is another story!!--Go with Garmin!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    Can you expand on that statement? What do you mean by waiting and keeping them working? I have never used one but the Mega 360 has my interest.
    same, about to drop 4K on 2 mega 10's....
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

7. Member
    Mega 360 is awesome, especially on a helix 12 or solix. I’d highly recommend 12” screen or bigger. But depending upon your setup, the units will randomly shut off and turn back on. The less networking you do with mega 360 the less issues you’ll have.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Hez uses the Garmin much better than I do, and he does find fish with it! (Don’t tell him I said this)

Take a look at The Bass Tank, just listened to the guy on the BTL podcast and they deal with all products. They respond to emails well too.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

The difficulties with both Helix and Solix models are they need to be wired directly to a power source. If you run them through the ordinary channels they will stop / start with a mind of their own. This is what I was told by Humminbird technical support.

Going to Kissimmee in 2 weeks. We will see if the that fix works ....
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay
    150 HP Mercury Four Stroke

I have Hummibird's on one boat and Garmin's on the other. I like Garmin better. Comes right up when you turn it on. Never had any issues where I have to unplug them. Both set's are wired directly to the battery. If Garmin had something like the 360 in a live mode--well that would just be cheating!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Yes, I use my livescope all over Florida...Winter Haven chain included. They now offer the perspective mode for use in shallow water...which to me is beneficial in 4' or less...anything deeper than that and I prefer the forward looking mode.
    I too use the perspective mode all over Florida, but I find it useful down to 7-8 feet finding brushpiles and holes in grass.
    2021 Falcon F20 Predator
    2021 Mercury 250 ProXS