Raker prop changes throught the years?

Meant through out. Anyway I stopped by a local prop shop the other day with an original 24 raker that has always been the fastest prop on my 03 stratos 18XL with 175 johnson & an 8" plate, but it blows out on brake over pretty bad. He said this prop was in very good shape when he checked it out with his guages & pitch blocks. He also said it was pre 1994 because the blade geometry changed then to help with blow out & showed me a pitch block marked 1994 raker 24 & there obviously was a difference in the blade width across from front to back. He noticed i had epoxied the exhaust holes shut & seems to think there's not much stopping blow out on the pre 94s. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks
    Last edited by Les Young; 08-02-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Wasn't there a "Raker II" along about that time? Or is that a different animal?

3. Member
    Yep different. Supposedly the original changed in 94 & was made a little wider & the part where the blades attach also changed.This prop guy showed me a pitch block marked 1994 raker 24 pitch & it was definitely wider across the blade from front to back. He also said there was another change & this was before the raker II.
    Last edited by Les Young; 08-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Les the next time your in my neck of the woods stop buy my house because I have a prop I want you to try. I have a 1999 24 Raker that's actually the fastest prop on my rig but with me having an E-Tec I don't run it because the pressed in hub is known to be more prone to fail with an E-Tec because they have high exhaust temperatures. Around 4-500 or so hours I had a local guy clean the prop up because it was starting to look worn. Around 950 hours it started to randomly lose bite for a brief second as I was running down the lake. I had Mark Croxten repair it and he said the cup was washed out. He calls it a repair but in reality it is a refurbish because he puts all the blades back into factory specifications. I ran it for 20 or so hours and re-powered. This is when I went to a Raker II on my current motor. I ran the original Raker about 5-6 hours on my new motor just to see how it performs. Overall the prop has close to 1000 hours on it but with Mark refurnishing it at 950 or so hours it still looks real good. Buy looks (once I clean all the dust off it) I would rate it a 8.5. I would say it has about 30 hours on it after Mark done a refurbish.

On my 99 Ficht it jumped right out of the hole and ran well on top end. With my E-Tech it blows for just a second as the bow breaks over BUT my set-up with my Ficht and E-Tec is totally different. With the Ficht I had no jack-plate. When I re-powered I installed a jack-plate as well as two Talons so my load and set-up is totally different. My only concern is this prop still has the same hub from 1999. It's been lying on a shelf in my garage since 2014. Rude196 has mentioned more than once that he would like to try the prop but he has yet to come get it. Your more than welcome to give it a spin and if interested I will let it go. I have three Raker props. One original 24 and two Raker II 24's. As a test you can spin my spare 24 Raker II but I will not part with my II because its my back up prop in the event something happens to my main prop. My original is a dust collector. You know close to where I live and how close I am to the ramp you use when you fish my home lake so just let me know if you want to spin either one of my Raker's but the original is the only one I will part with...FYI the original is actually about 2 mph faster than either of my II's.

5. Member
    Ok gene thanks &I just may do that.