20 Pro xs question?

I have a 20 175 Pro xs I just bought. Only has 7 hours on it. During break In I had a non critical alarm. Found out I had some water in my fuel. Dealer flushed fuel out of motor. I pumped my tanks empty and found 0 water. Put gas back in and took her out. Now it has a bad rough idle and actually is dying on me. In neutral, idle is fine but as soon as I put her clutch ahead it has a rough idle for about 3 seconds and then smooth idle for around 3 seconds. It seems like its starving for fuel possibly. Maybe fouled spark plugs? Any thought?

Being that the motor is a 2020, motor should be on warranty. Did you put the same gas back in that you pumped out? If so, I would have put in fresh fuel with the recommended Mercury fuel additives. Is the new motor on an older boat? Have the fuel lines and primer bulb ever been replaced from tank to motor?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    I did put the same gas because it was brand new ethanol free gas. I added water remover additive just to be safe. This is 98 Ranger that I've only had 3 years. Don't know if lines have been changed. I'm going to replace all fuel lines, vent lines, check sending unit, and check tank switch valve. I have 2 separate tanks and it does the same thing with both tanks. That's why I think it has to be from my tank selector switch to my motor. I did notice that my primer bulb had no clamp on the side going to the motor and it is in the splashwell. That bulb was definitely in water when splashwell fills up when I come off plane. I'm thinking that's where my water could have been coming from. I hose clamped this part and motor still had rough idle. Im gonna get some Radius head ties to put on when i change my bulbI as well. I also took the fuel line off going into my low pressure fuel seperator on the motor. When I removed the fuel line I had nothing but air in this line. Is this a vapor lock issue? I even tried taking my gas caps off to help vent the tanks if the vents were clogged, but still had rough idle when in gear. Should I change my spark plugs as well?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbw1968 View Post
    I have a 20 175 Pro xs I just bought. Only has 7 hours on it. During break In I had a non critical alarm. Found out I had some water in my fuel. Dealer flushed fuel out of motor. I pumped my tanks empty and found 0 water. Put gas back in and took her out. Now it has a bad rough idle and actually is dying on me. In neutral, idle is fine but as soon as I put her clutch ahead it has a rough idle for about 3 seconds and then smooth idle for around 3 seconds. It seems like its starving for fuel possibly. Maybe fouled spark plugs? Any thought?
    Wrong boards Sir, your motor is a FOUR STROKE.