Thread: 18 XL setup ???

18 XL setup ???

Trying to get my 2003 18XL tuned in. What are the average prop to pad measurements for 18 footers with 150 & 175 johnsons or evinrudes on them with 8 inch plates? Is anybody running a razor 3 on one? Thanks

2. Member
    Most Strats like to run around 3.5" below pad. I would start there and raise the plate 1/4" each run and record hole shot, WP, top speed and handling in turns etc. You will know when you have her dialed in right. With the OMC motors I always ran Raker props but I would try a Tempest in 24 pitch for that rig. The Razor 3 in 24 or 23 pitch should be a good choice also.

3. Member
    Jumping Jimmy, thanks.

Renegade 19 which is 18'9" E-Tec 150 HO with 6" ZLock and 24 Raker II set with a prop to pad of 3.25"...58 loaded and heat of summer. 62.5 light and cool weather. GPS history has max speed of 64.94 but that was my original 24 Raker. I don't run it because it blows on break-over and the hub does not like the heat an E-Tech produces.

From what I have read over the years the people who really try to dial them in for max performance 90% are at 3.5" or 3.25"...now with that being said the majority run a 6" plate so I don't know if your 8" plate plays a factor. I don't personally think its too big but I would not go more than 8".

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Renegade 19 which is 18'9" E-Tec 150 HO with 6" ZLock and 24 Raker II set with a prop to pad of 3.25"...58 loaded and heat of summer. 62.5 light and cool weather. GPS history has max speed of 64.94 but that was my original 24 Raker. I don't run it because it blows on break-over and the hub does not like the heat an E-Tech produces.

From what I have read over the years the people who really try to dial them in for max performance 90% are at 3.5" or 3.25"...now with that being said the majority run a 6" plate so I don't know if your 8" plate plays a factor. I don't personally think its too big but I would not go more than 8".
    Gene, i’m Not going bigger than an 8. The reason I asked was trying to understand why I can’t get the razor 3 I have to run close to the 3 raker 24 originals that I have. I’m having to run it a lot deeper to try to eliminate a huge rooster tail & it’s not close in speed by a long shot. Turning 5500 I was running 53 mph. The takers will do 66 at this rpm. Mark said to send it back, but i’m just trying to see if i’m missing something on my setup although all I have changed is the prop & now plate height. I’m sure Mark will get my lined out though. Thanks

6. Member
    That boat needs a 4 blade for more transom lift. I had one with a Johnson 150. Renegade 23 prop was perfect with 6 inch Jack. 59 to 64 mph

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brs2149 View Post
    That boat needs a 4 blade for more transom lift. I had one with a Johnson 150. Renegade 23 prop was perfect with 6 inch Jack. 59 to 64 mph
    This one needs bow lift.
    Out of all three of the rakers two will run 65 & one runs 66. It’s the razor that doesn’t run as well, but surely Mark will make it better. If not it will be for sale & I’ll send him a raker to install Pvs plugs in. The rakers all have plenty of bow lift, but blow out on holeshot.