Ghost not connecting to Live Units

I have a HDS Live 7 & 9 both with Version 20 updates. The Ghost was updated via Lowrance app from my phone and has Version 1.1.04.00. When I pull up the device list on the HDS Live 7, it only shows HDS Live 7 items in the device list. The HDS Live 9 respectively only shows HDS Live 9 items in the device list. I have the Live units connected via ethernet and have a NEMA 2000 network. Charts and waypoints show on both units. The Ghost is also connected via NEMA to the HDS Live 7 unit on the bow. The Ghost does not show on either unit and I thought I should see both 7 & 9 units equally in the device list of each unit. What am I missing here? Have done soft resets to both units as well.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Member
    Sounds like your NMEA 2000 network is not properly working. Did you install it yourself and know how it was constructed, and powered? Even without the Ghost your two units should be seeing each other in the device list.

Do you also have Point-1 antenna (and if so, does it show up on the device list)?

The NMEA 2000 network has to have a power node and terminators at each end, which is where most problems are located in non-functioning NMEA networks.
    Last edited by Marc Marcantonio; 08-02-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    I did install it myself last year. It has a backbone that is powered which has the point 1 installed on it as well. I have good GPS through the Point 1 for both units, so I would make a guess that the NEMA should be operational since the Point 1 is working, but others may know better than I.

4. Member
    Does your Point-1 show in your device list?

I would power up all of your units, and turn the power on the Ghost, and then go into your network settings and press AutoConfigure. That should take care of any problem if the network is installed correctly.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    The Point 1 does not show in either units list, the 7 or the 9. I will turn them all on and see what autoconfigure will do.

6. Member
    Let us know the results!
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    I did auto configure and it did not resolve the issue. However, while I was doing this, the HDS9 notified me of an update for the HDS7. I was able to download the update to the HDS9. So it knows it is on the system somehow, the units just do not show. Neither does the Point 1 nor the Ghost.

8. Member
    You did have your Ghost powered up when you did autoconfigure? If you did, and it doesn't show, and your Point-1 isn't showing, this is a pretty sure sign your NMEA 2000 network has a problem with it (even if the Point-1 seems to be working). I would make sure you have both terminators in place, and all devices (sonar units, Point-1, and Ghost connection) are all coming off the top of the Tees, which should all be in a line. Consult the pinned posts above for reference. All devices should show on the device list; if the Ghost isn't listed this explains why you can't connect to it through NMEA. Make sure all connections on the NMEA 2000 network are still tight.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    You did have your Ghost powered up when you did autoconfigure? If you did, and it doesn't show, and your Point-1 isn't showing, this is a pretty sure sign your NMEA 2000 network has a problem with it (even if the Point-1 seems to be working). I would make sure you have both terminators in place, and all devices (sonar units, Point-1, and Ghost connection) are all coming off the top of the Tees, which should all be in a line. Consult the pinned posts above for reference. All devices should show on the device list; if the Ghost isn't listed this explains why you can't connect to it through NMEA. Make sure all connections on the NMEA 2000 network are still tight.
    I traced all of the NEMA wiring and connections and had no loose wiring or connections. I put a meter to it and found that the line was dead and so was the entire power block. I found a hot wire, then wired the backbone directly and everything now shows in the device list. So I now have control of the Ghost via the units. I now need to get with the dealer. I had them a few months ago wire in a main power switch, but apparently they did not do something correctly and I will get with them. For now, it is hardwired into a live circuit until I get the dealer to correct whatever wiring issue they created.
    Thanks for the help.

10. Member
    Good deal, just keep your eyes on your batteries until you get it onto a switch. The NMEA network will run down your batteries pretty quick with no switch.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

11. Member

USA

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Good deal, just keep your eyes on your batteries until you get it onto a switch. The NMEA network will run down your batteries pretty quick with no switch.

NoCAL
    Good job tracking down the problem, and thanks for reporting back. Good group of people here that usually fix any issue. As NoCAL said, the Point-1 will consume power 24//7 unless switched off, so your NMEA 2000 network power should be on a switch. Always turn off the switch at the end of the day. My NMEA 2000 network power leads are attached after my Ranger main battery power breaker, which I always turn off after every use, along with my trolling battery main breaker.
    ciao,
    Marc

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Good job tracking down the problem, and thanks for reporting back. Good group of people here that usually fix any issue. As NoCAL said, the Point-1 will consume power 24//7 unless switched off, so your NMEA 2000 network power should be on a switch. Always turn off the switch at the end of the day. My NMEA 2000 network power leads are attached after my Ranger main battery power breaker, which I always turn off after every use, along with my trolling battery main breaker.
    The point 1 was the main reason for having a main power switch installed so as to keep battery drain down when not out on the water. I will address it with the dealer tomorrow and ask them why the issue of no power to my power block, yet all the accessories work.