Sucked up a bunch of sand into my motor!!!!

I was fishing Lake Champlain with my son and we were trying to exit the La Chute river and we sucked a bunch of sand into the motor. Fast forward to I have replaced the water pump and impeller along with the thermostats and the hose that connects to the fitting you connect the garden hose to when you are flushing your motor. I have since had to replace that same hose. it burst twice! I am so lost as to where the blockage can be and how to clear it.

2003 mercury XR6 150 HP
    OT649691
    1150454AD
    Last edited by billybas; 08-03-2020 at 09:31 AM.

2. Member
    Is it the xr6? Prob gonna b in adapter plates or .maybe poppet valve , pull lower , stats, poppet. And put garden hose on copper tube in mid and try flush it thru

3. Member
    Sand will work it’s way and get stuck all in the motor, especially the “gravel” sized pellets will block up in stuff and the finer sand will back up behind it.

Sometimes you can drop the lower and put a hose up the water tube and let it run and pull it away and it will fall out and clear some.

sometimes you might have to take the exhaust divider off and whach it with a dead blow to knock crap out of it.

And or blow it out with air. Might have to pull the heads and dig it out of the block, and might have to pull the powerhead to clean out the adapter plate.

I struggle with sand all the time where i run and seems like at least once a year the power head has had to come off. But normally can flush it and pull exhaust divider and heads and be good...

just depends on how much is lodged and where it’s logged.

good luck...

4. Member
    ^^^^ agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    update...
    So we Took the lower unit down again and flushed the motor up the water tube and after doing it repeatedly got about a handful of sand and some pieces of shells. I ran it again and it over heated again but did not break the hose this time. I did notice it only overheats when I go over 23 MPH if i stay under that it does not overheat. I will be pulling the lower unit again this morning and figuring out where the divider plate is. Pulling the head off is above my pay grade so I made an appointment with the shop in case I can't get it going.

6. Member
    divider plate is on back of powerhead regs and coils bolted to it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    update again
    So we pulled the lower unit and found a lot more sand and shell pieces again. I did not pull the divider plate....I took off the water pump base because it had some sand on top of it cleaned all that off and replaced the old rubber o-ring. Flushed out the upper part of the motor for hours dislodged more sand and when no more came out we put it back together. I will run it again this week to check if it's ok. If not its going in the shop.
    If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate the help.