Battery life Comparison

So I just got a 112 Fortrex for a great price. Now I have to figure out a way to squeeze 3 batteries in my small bilge. I appears after measuring that I only have enough room for three group 24 batteries. So will this setup be better than my current setup with two group 27 and a maxxum 80. Just wondering about run time at about the same thrust levels. Thanks guys.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Same thrust will be roughly same power so current will be reduced by about 1/3. Two 180 minute RC batteries is a little smaller than three 135 minute RC batteries so you should be good.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks CatFan. Go Badgers.

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Above assumes you fish using the new trolling motor as you did before.

Do note that with the 112 with more thrust, it will allow you whenever max speeds are used to move you faster to the next spots...... You will likely find yourself now getting to more spots and covering more water by the end of the day. That results in more RC minutes being used from the batteries..

5. Member
    Stay with 2 TM batteries, and add the cranking to the chain. Carry a jump box if you run them down past a level to start the outboard. I have seen a lot of guys using this set up when space is at a premium.

6. Member
    Ok I can give some real life info as I have the same trolling motor. I own Skeeter FX 20with with a YAMAHA SHO 250. This will give you and idea of how much weight I have in the boat and motor.

So if I understand your question can you use three group 24 batteries to power your Fortrex 112. I can tell you that yes you can.

Last October my trolling motor batteries died three days before a tournament I had entered to fish. The only three batteries I could find in time were group 24. I can tell you in the short run they performed well. I ran about 8 hours on the trolling motor.

Let's move into this year. I noticed that they didn't perform as well after the first hour. Now they would still get me through a normal fishing day of about 6 hours. But I could tell they were getting pretty tired at the end of the day. I would start off the day at the 10 setting but by the end of the day I had to use the 30 or even the 40 setting to get the same results. Thus at the end of the day while not totaly discharged they were what I call tired.

Now I never meant to keep them in this boat this long. They were meant to get through last year's tournament and a few extra trips prior to winter. Then they would go in my all electric boat and I would replace them with group 31.

I just got lazy and did not make the switch until this week. What made me switch now? On my last trip at the end of the day I had an issue. I had fished around six hours and decided to fish the low end of the river. However the wind was blowing pretty good. Needless to say I had to use everything those batteries could give me at full power to very slowly get to water I could lower and start the 250 SHO.

I had pushed those batteries to the limit which would have never happened with group 27 or group 31.

So in the short answer yes group 24 will work. However in the long answer they may not make it through the day. I also started to notice that they started to get weekend sooner with ever trip in the past month. That's probably because they were being drawn down a lot more than the large group batteries.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I am looking at a Amped Outdoors 36 volt 60 amp lithium now for space saving, weight savings, and longevity. Keep the replies coming. Thanks again.

8. Member
    Good choice. I am using 3 group Deal's but that comes in at 180 pounds of batteries. 'LOL they are 60 pounds each. My boat can handle the extra weight but others may not like the extra weight.