Thread: Shabbona

Shabbona

I havent fished here in years.

Had some questions about the HP limit. Is there still the 10hp limit? If so, can we use a bigger motor for just idling to spots or trolling motor only?

2. Member
    Still 10 hp limit.

Can use big motor to load/unload boat on trailer at ramp only.

There has been talk for years about changing it but the fear is people not going idle only.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Still 10 hp limit.

Can use big motor to load/unload boat on trailer at ramp only.

There has been talk for years about changing it but the fear is people not going idle only.

Yeah that's funny, all of Iowas smaller lakes are idle only... Been to several of them with no issues
    River Runner

4. Member
    Hows the bass fishing been? Goin to be in the area for a week and fish a few spots i grew up fishing as a kid that ive not fished since.

Pool 13, Rockwood, and Shabbona are on that list.

5. Member
    Sounds like a fun re-visit...Have fished Shabbona a few times in the last month...you won't recognize it but just for the lack of the emergent weedbeds you would've been used to...a lot are gone/submerged minus the usual lily pad fields...shallow bite early on topwater, after sun's been up a bit head to drop offs...for me anyways, the good bite I used to find along the dam rip rap hasn't happened but used to fish late evening there and been more of a first half of the day the guy last few years. Swim jigs and chatterbaits have been successful for me on the outer edge of the weedbeds you can find. Jigs on the dropoffs. Maybe others can add their experiences lately...Enjoy your week!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

6. Member
    Shabbona sucked yesterday. Fished all day and not a bite. Hows the water level on pool 13 (cattail slough) area? Thinking of going there tomorrow. Need to catch a fish. Hahah