Spare tire attached to side of trailer?

As everyone knows, we have to be careful about loading and unloading the boat with the way our spare tires are mounted underneath - especially with the Hambys keel guard. I replaced my factory tires with some that are a little bigger, and I don't keep the spare mounted underneath the trailer.

I often have other people backing me in to the water, and I don't like having to constantly worry about the boat hitting the tire.

I've been keeping the spare in the back of my truck (with a tonneau cover). I'm wanting to install the Decked drawer system, so I need that tire out of there.

Has anyone come up with a way to mount the spare tire to the side of the trailer instead? Any pictures to share?
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    I have never had and issue, and I have a Hamby's. I guess I am the exception.

2016 Puma / 250 SHP

3. Member
    I could see it being an issue on an extremely steep ramp. I have owner 4 different model BCB. Sabre, Pantera II, Eyra, and a 98 Jag.
    I have never had an issue with the boat impacting the tire or causing damage.

As for your question, I have not seen any BCB with an added side mounted spare. I do believe that Iboat and other marine online stores sell an optional attachment.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

What some have done is add another roller to the front trailer brace to keep the bow from dropping. That has solved the issue and they continue to use the front tire well. Search for it in the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I have never had and issue, and I have a Hamby's. I guess I am the exception.

2016 Puma / 250 SHP
    Same here never had an issue with the three Cats I've owned. All had Hamby's. 2006 Puma, 2011 Eyra and current 2018 Eyra.

6. Member
    Never had that issue, my trailer has rollers that guide the bow up over the tire. My old Cat didn't have them, but never really had an issue with the tire, and I'm sure it hit occasionally. I see plenty of Rangers with the side mounted spare hit the ground as they are backing down a ramp. Much rather have it where its at than on the side.
    2021 Falcon F20 Predator
    2021 Mercury 250 ProXS

Only one time did I have an issue and it was the weirdest ramp ever. It had a very shallow approach to the ramp then dropped rapidly into the water...almost like an ATV ramp coming off a lifted truck. It was difficult for everyone and this was an 180+ boat college tournament.

I have owned Cougar, PII and a Sabre and other than above it has been fine...just don't put the trailer too far in the water!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I added a window wedge under the front of the spare tire to change the angle slightly. Worked like a charm. Can’t find a picture, but the wedge raised the front of the spare approx. 1-1/2”.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I had a boat with side mounted spare, and ended up taking the spare off and storing it in the back of my truck. There were just too may ramps where the spare would drag as you backed the boat down. I much prefer where it is on my Eyra. Just an FYI, wouldn't want you to go through all that trouble to end up with your spare in the back of you truck again.

10. Member
    No issues with my Eyra or my prior Cougar

11. Member
    My '07 Puma has two spares mounted, one on each side. I doesn't look like it ever had a spare mounted underneath, I know the previous owner added an extra spare after running over something and blowing both tires on one side.

07Puma right.jpg07Puma left.JPG
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

2018 BCB Puma FTD
    2018 Pro XS
    26 Fury

13. Member
    Holy smokes is that tire close to the side of the boat.
    Brad Krone