Motor height vs trim angle

This is a v hull boat but im assuming most boats would be the same. The issue i have is i get soaked in any sort of waves or cross wind. Id like to get the bow lifted higher out of the water. In theory more trim angle should lift the bow more correct?

With my current setup im not able to trim much without porpoising or loss of grip. I think my motor is probably mounted to high. If i lower the motor will this allow more trim and more bow lift without porpoising? Im not overly concerned with loosing a few mph if i can get a dryer ride.

im running a 19p tempest but also just got a 18p 4 blade to try.

looking for input.

thanks

2. Pat Goff
    Some hulls are just going to be soakers. If you don't have chines that run really far forward, which knocks down the spray, it's just going to slide up the side of the hull and into your face.

But, your thinking is somewhat correct, if your prop can't carry you at your trim angle, then the motor is too high for that prop. Now, very few can run full trim at 20 mph, so there's a limit, and we can't see exactly what you're trying to do.

A four blade will typically keep water contact better in the slop than a high rake three blade, but again motor height, speed and trim angle have limits.

If I knew I was in for a rough day on the pond, the trophy got put on, you compromise some speed for big water performance.

So, try your four blade, if it gives you what you want, great. If not drop the motor a bit at a time until you get the results you want. Porpoising and cavitation are absolutely symptoms of too high.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Thanks Pat, just wanted to make sure i was making changes in the right direction.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Some hulls are just going to be soakers. If you don't have chines that run really far forward, which knocks down the spray, it's just going to slide up the side of the hull and into your face.

But, your thinking is somewhat correct, if your prop can't carry you at your trim angle, then the motor is too high for that prop. Now, very few can run full trim at 20 mph, so there's a limit, and we can't see exactly what you're trying to do.

A four blade will typically keep water contact better in the slop than a high rake three blade, but again motor height, speed and trim angle have limits.

If I knew I was in for a rough day on the pond, the trophy got put on, you compromise some speed for big water performance.

So, try your four blade, if it gives you what you want, great. If not drop the motor a bit at a time until you get the results you want. Porpoising and cavitation are absolutely symptoms of too high.
    Though I mostly agree with Pat on this matter, you gave very little information about your boat for him or anyone to be more accurate on their suggestion.