Things to look for for when picking up new boat?

Any details/issues you have learned to look for when picking up a new boat? I check every switch and verify everything is operational but do you do more? Pics of zxr to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by btown View Post
    Any details/issues you have learned to look for when picking up a new boat? I check every switch and verify everything is operational but do you do more? Pics of zxr to follow!
    Are they taking you for a water demo? If so take your time and test everything. Let the live well pumps run, turn all graphs on, turn the courtesy lights on, and pretty much put as much load on the electrical system as you can. You can find a lot of issues that way. Found out my boat had a bad battery (brand new) after about 30 mins of letting everything run during the water test. If I had not I would have found it after the 2 hour drive back home.
    USMC Vet!

3. Member
    Run all pumps, lights, depth finders, trolling motor, switches, etc. Look for loose bulging screws/bolts. Drive the boat at several different speeds, check steering and all gauges. Open and inspect all compartments. Walk around the deck and listen for squeaks. Check everything on the trailer (I had one bad tail light). I would suggest you sit down and make a check list. Take it with you and check everything on it.

Walk every single inch of the hull. Look and test every switch, feature etc. Do not let them rush you. Check trailer as well.

5. Member
    Need to spend a good hour at least looking it over not much quality control in manufacturing right now. Make sure your navigation lights are in there, make sure it has the right prop, switches and run your hand over the exterior to check for rough spots.

6. Member
    All good advice so far. I would add to check the trolling motor thoroughly, including spot lock and iPilot, etc. If it has a stereo, check it and speakers also.

7. Member
    This is really good advice guys. I know each time I get a new vehicle I forget to look over and test everything. Same with my boats. Luckily I haven’t really had any problems

8. Member
    It will take 6 months to a year to get all the little bugs fixed!

9. Member
    Check and make sure the factory (Skeeter) mounted your jack plate/motor level. Ask me how I know...
    Brad Krone

10. Member
    Great advice! I read through it all several times. I even left dealer after an hour, ate lunch read back through and went back. I will try to post some pics . I am sure I missed something or will come up later. But my dealer was patient and already ran boat and checked it out. Very good experience.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btown View Post
    Great advice! I read through it all several times. I even left dealer after an hour, ate lunch read back through and went back. I will try to post some pics . I am sure I missed something or will come up later. But my dealer was patient and already ran boat and checked it out. Very good experience.
    Congrats
    Brad Krone

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Walk every single inch of the hull. Look and test every switch, feature etc. Do not let them rush you. Check trailer as well.
    I agree. A water test is a good idea too if they have a pond or something there.

When you’re about to drive off the lot, be sure to put it in reverse and back up a few feet to make sure the pig tail connector is good. I drove all the way home and couldn’t go in reverse to put it in the garage. I had a faulty pigtail. Also, check for a fire extinguisher ... the dealer left it off.

14. Member
    I was at the dealer when the truck pulled up with my boat. The dealer made me look the boat over before the truck left. I checked everything I could think of but still had these two issues.

1. The trailer bunk supports were higher on one side so the boat would not go on the trailer correctly. Skeeter replaced the trailer
    2. First time I put the boat in the water the automatic bilge pump came on before I could even back the boat off. Turned out one of the livewell hoses was disconnected.
    3. Make sure you have and understand all the paperwork and have the dealer show you how every thing works as stated in the 3rd post
    4. Take the boat straight to the water and test everything out.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

15. Member
    Going to pick mine up Saturday. Anybody know if there are any extended warranty promos going to right now with Yamaha? I saw a commercial during the bass master event 2 extra years and it said to check Yamahas website but I don’t see anything about it there. Skeeter just put $1500 rebate on the ZXR’s again.

16. Member
    I was able to put 6 hours on the motor today. Zxr is a sweert ride. Very happy overall. I will miss a few things from my 13fx20 but, I love the bow lift and responsiveness of this boat. One thing i hate is i am a short guy and unload by myself a lot. I have it down... I can't hardly reach the dang eye hook up front! I will have to tie off to cleat i guess! Leaving Lowrance is gonna takeva while. But again the 360 is a welcomed addition.

17. Member
    Check the navigation lights. Mine did not work on the rear first time i needed it. Also my transducer cable was cut . Lot easier for them to fix this than you when you get it home and five hours away
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

Bring a serious buddy...look it over COMPLETELY separately for at least 20-30 minutes...
    the ZX line bait tray is awful...bottom paper thin...am on 3rd one in 4 years...trying to get a ZXR tray, same size...all are drop-ins...the ZXR tray is solid...
    tires should be 48/50 no less...test ALL switches...take a few notes BEFORE the inspection...have had 8 Skeeters over 40 years so been there...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers