Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

Double digit opportunity

Where would you go for a double digit? I know they are thick in Arbuckle but it’s like they disappear this time of the year. Maybe a small lake?

2. Member
    McGee. Goy my 10 there July before last but haven’t made it back since.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    lot of good lakes. not as familiar with those near you. if you truly want an opportunity to catch a fish of your lifetime from personal experience I've come to the conclusion you have to focus on a few things. to consistently have an opportunity I believe 1) fish a lake with that potential, 2) isolate it to a section that has that maximum potential, 3) learn that area thoroughly fishing and electronic's and 4) fish it every opportunity and in every condition. by making a lake more manageable by learning that location gives you best odds of being around these unique fish. big lakes with potential- arbuckle, sardis, McGee, broken bow. small lakes - okema, dripping spring, okmulgee, and wetumka. these our ones I've fished and familiar with. good luck. fishing has been fantastic for big fish last two weeks.

4. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Well I fish all the small ones you listed, but I don’t think there is a very large population of 10+ in okemah. I might know that lake a little. And I know there are some in there, just seems tougher there. I know Wetumka has 10+ but not a very big population. Dripping springs... yeah, need to learn that lake better. Okmulgee I have very little experience with bigger fish there.

sardis, my gosh that lake has a hell of a population of 5+. McGee for sure, arbuckle check, broken bow wasn’t really on my radar for a large pop of big fish.

thanks for the replies

5. Member
    Good question - I’ll be curious and watching this thread. I live in the Edmond area, I Fished a lot this year - I got my two personal best this year which is a seven and an eight pounder, typically I am catching 2-3 pound bass on average, I would love to get a double Digit Bass. Ironically I got a 7 pound fish on a Saturday, and I got the eight pound the next day on a Sunday. Both were my personal best. I think Konowa has some big fish in it, but looking for 10 pound fish I think really limits the lakes. I’m also looking for suggestions. Sooner has some big LMB for sure.

6. Member
    wetumka - 14 came out of there a few years back. sardis- i saw a guy catch a 12 plus prefishing for a tourney. I've caught multiple 7plus including two during a tourney. I've fished okmukgee but not alot. lot of grass close to deep water. that is why I mention that - potential is there. dripping spring - fishing lake no jet ski or pleasure boats to deal with . more traditional fishing. mcgee - biggest was 8.2 while prefishing for tourney. I broke fish off my partner cast right back and caught it. gave me my lure back. took me a LONG time to catch one over 5 pds. my fishing has evolved. my mindset has fundamentally change. most times I'm looking for one bite not numbers. I fish different water. i dont beat the bank as much and fish deeper water. if i believe a spot is really good i can fish it for hours at multiple depths and angle. this is usually when I'm alone. when with someone I fish more traditional patterns for numbers. I've fished alot of great lakes (clear lake, lake fork, venice la, buggs island). the best lake is the one I've focused on for the last 20 years because I've fished it alot in all condition. biggest thing that help me learn this lake is when we were in our drought years ago. found all underwater structure which has provided great success for me. I went yesterday morning - caught a 5.5 4.2 from same 20 yard spot that we caught a 9.7 and a 6 from last weekend. long point and fish in 20pkus feet of water. my best so far this year 10.4 in early March water temp low 50 in less then 2 ft of water BUT within 5ft of 15ft of water. if you could talk to him the guy to give recommendations would be chuck justice the guide out of mcgee. if anyone can provide good info he can. my dream is a fish 13 plus. I believe I've had one on a couple of times - once at wetumka couldn't turn the fish and came off and once at the current lake I fish. lost both. who knows but that is what keeps me going back. good luck

7. Banned
    Broken bow has produced a few double digit fish over the last couple of years.

8. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Big lake for a “few”. Although I know the former state record was from there.

what’s funny to me, is no one ever says grand, Gibson, Eufaula, texoma. Why is it the big lakes just don’t put out 10+ fish very often.

9. Member
    as a laymen my belief is of the lakes you mention eufuala would have potential to have one. I know it has big fish in it. I believe those lakes our so big that people move great distance and just dont learn an area. I think the more northern lakes although they may have some aren't as productive. i40 south for best luck in my opinion. I really believe alot of lakes have more quality fish then we give them credit for. we as fishermen love to fish the lake forks , Toledo bend lakes for the visible structure. we would hardly give a thought to one with little visible structure. I caught this one today at such a lake. weight 8.75. that lid is 30ins long. my measuring board only goes to 18inchs. figure 23 or 24 inches long. beautiful fish. it has been the best summer fishing for me for quality fish I've ever had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    I caught a fish yesterday very similar to yours on a lake that has a lot of visible cover, but the structure you have to know well. I agree with your thoughts, and even though I’ve caught 25+ fish this year over 7, including some 8’s and a 9, I just can’t seem to get over the 10lb threshold.

11. Member
    when it happens I'll bet it will be a year your remember simply because it wouldn't surprise me to see you have multiple in a single year. everything clicks and falls together not unlike winning a tournament- everything falls into place. it will happen. good luck.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    I caught a fish yesterday very similar to yours on a lake that has a lot of visible cover, but the structure you have to know well. I agree with your thoughts, and even though I’ve caught 25+ fish this year over 7, including some 8’s and a 9, I just can’t seem to get over the 10lb threshold.
    that’s pretty impressive, and a great year! I hope I can do something even remotely similar sometime in my life
    Last edited by itsahog; 08-02-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Bixhoma gives up one usually the last week of Feb to the 1st week of March

14. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Yeah, all these one here one there’s. I need a place that gives up more than one a year

If/when you locate that honey hole, you should PM me.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    If/when you locate that honey hole, you should PM me.
    yeah, me too!!

17. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Lol lose lips sinks ships comes to mind there but I’ll keep ya updated on the pursuit. Thanks for all the replies!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Yeah, all these one here one there’s. I need a place that gives up more than one a year
    Broken bow gave up 3 last spring that I know of.

19. Member
    Sooner.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

Sooner? Really? And your talking LMB?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast